Submission Deadline: Applications will be accepted until midnight on May 13, 2021. Applicants who fail to submit all the required documents (cover letter, résumé, writing-sample, and references) will not be considered for employment.
Who We Are:
The Performance Evaluation and Research Division (PERD), a division of the Office of the Legislative Auditor, is a nonpartisan professional office that conducts performance audits under statutory authority. PERD also conducts research on special topics as requested by the Legislature or mandated by separate legislation. To learn more about PERD, please visit our website at: https://www.wvlegislature.gov/Joint/perd.cfm
To provide research reports and performance audits to the Legislative Auditor that are accurate, unbiased, clear, concise, convincing, comprehensive, useful, and timely. Pursuant to West Virginia Code §4-10-1 et seq., performance audits are intended to enhance accountability of state government, provide an account of an agency’s performance determine the need for an agency’s continued existence, and to facilitate legislative and executive actions to improve the effectiveness and efficiency of state government.
Under the supervision of a Research Manager, the Research Analyst is responsible for performing the tasks associated with conducting a performance audit which includes:
1. gathering, reviewing, and analyzing relevant information;
2. drafting relevant documents and reports;
3. organizing and maintaining audit work papers; and
4. orally presenting the findings of audit reports to legislative committees.
1. The applicant must possess a bachelor’s or master’s degree in the social sciences, humanities, business, or other professional field, such as: Economics, Business, History, Political Science, Public Administration, Public Policy, or other degree that emphasizes analytical and research skills.
2. Applicants must demonstrate the ability to perform auditing skills, such as:
· using appropriate methods of approach and source materials in conducting performance audits;
· objectively analyze audit documentation to develop findings and recommendations;
· the ability to conduct interviews, site visits, and document reviews, and analyze their results;
· strong analytical and quantitative skills;
· the ability to work independently and in a team environment;
· the ability to work objectively and impartially with members of all political parties and independents;
· the ability to express conclusions clearly and logically in oral and written form; and
· an interest in state government and public administration.
In addition to the compensation listed above, the West Virginia Legislature provides the following:
· twelve paid holidays,
· fifteen days of annual leave and eighteen days of sick leave, and
· a full range of benefits, including retirement plans, health and life insurance, deferred compensation and flexible benefits program.
How to Apply:
The applicant must submit all the following documentation to be considered for an interview:
3. A detailed cover letter addressing each minimum qualification individually, describing experience (both professional and academic) relevant to the work of the PERD.
4. A current résumé.
5. A sample of the applicant’s research-based, written work with a note on the first page explaining the extent to which the sample has been edited by another. Furthermore, the writing sample should not include the work of other contributors.
6. A list of three academic or professional references including, name, mailing address, email address, telephone number, relationship to the applicant, and the number of years the reference has known the applicant.
In addition, an applicant selected for an interview is required to complete an aptitude test and background check. Please be aware that interviews, if selected, will be conducted online and in-person interviews will not be offered.
Applicants who fail to submit all the required documents (cover letter, résumé, writing-sample, and references) will not be considered for employment. Please submit application materials to: John Sylvia, Director at: email@example.com.