About Vision To Learn
Vision To Learn is the largest school-based vision care nonprofit in the country. VTL exists to address one basic premise – if you can’t see, you can’t learn. More than 2 million students go to school each day without the glasses they need to see the board, read a book, or participate in class.
Since 2012, Vision To Learn has provided more than 1.5 million vision screenings, 300,000 eye exams and over 240,000 pairs of glasses to kids in need, nationwide. We operate programs in 11 states and are rapidly expanding our work to support kids in communities across the United States. Our growing team in Pennsylvania will help an estimated 24,000 kids throughout the state during the 2021-22 school year.
Position Summary: Field staff will be cross-trained to provide vision screenings, assist with exams on the mobile clinics, and dispense glasses.
Key position responsibilities:
- Conduct vision screenings at school sites
- Oversee operation of a mobile eye clinic. Load, secure, inspect and fuel vehicle before and as necessary during the course of the shift.
- Responsible for safe transportation of the vehicle to predetermined site visits and return to secure parking facility.
- Keep vehicle and internal work area within vehicle organized and clean for safety and efficiency.
- Maintain the highest possible professional standards in driving performance, and customer service to the patients while on board the vehicle.
- Set up the clinic, monitor inventory, and ensure that all patient and administrative paperwork facilitates an efficient workflow.
- Conduct pre-testing for eye examinations and maintain the highest possible professional standard.
- Assist patients with selecting frames and measure patients for size of eyeglasses.
- Assist with glasses sorting and check-in
- Dispense glasses to patients at school sites
- Prepare and maintain daily reports.
- Ability to lift up to 20 lbs and to exert well-paced mobility for an 8-hour shift including standing, walking, bending and squatting
- Optician certification
- Willingness to drive a 26 foot mobile clinic in 5 county region
- Willingness to drive own vehicle around 5 county region
- Valid driver’s license required, with good driving record and familiarity with Greater Philadelphia region geography; driving transcript must be provided
- Successful track record of working with children and school administrators
- Excellent organizational and prioritization skills
- Strong interpersonal and written communication skills
- Must pass Department of Justice background check (LiveScan) and drug test
- Experienced using Microsoft Office – outlook, excel, word; EMR systems experience a plus.
- Spanish or other language skills a plus
Hourly Pay Rate: $21-23
Our normal work week is Monday through Friday; however, there are times that employees may need to work over the weekend. Flexibility is a must!
Vision To Learn is committed to a diverse staff and to a culture that holds equity as a value and a priority. VTL welcomes applicants who bring a variety of perspectives, experiences, and competencies. People of color, women, people with disabilities, and LGBTQIA+ persons are strongly encouraged to apply. VTL is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate based on race, creed, color, religion, ethnicity, national origin, party or political affiliation, sex, sexual orientation or gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, or any illegal or prohibited factor.
As a direct healthcare provider and to protect the health and well-being of our employees, VTL has implemented best practices for ensuring a clean and safe work environment. Employees will be asked to provide proof of COVID-19 vaccination and pass a Department of Justice background check/fingerprinting (LiveScan), child abuse history clearance, TB, and drug test.