The mission of the Department of Molecular and Cellular Oncology (MCO) is to enable and apply basic research excellence to significantly contribute to ending cancer. The department’s oncology-driven research focuses on fundamental mechanistic discoveries and their translation to humans. As a basic science department at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, MCO strives to enhance basic research excellence by establishing a strong research group focused on the molecular and cellular aspects of cancer research, particularly in signaling pathways and crosstalk between tumor and tumor microenvironment in tumor initiation, progression and metastasis, and resistance to various therapies. The Department’s research interests include, but are not limited to: cancer cell signaling, metabolism, RNA biology, genetics and epigenetics, DNA damage and repairs, and structural biology. MCO hosts MD Anderson’s Functional Genomics Core with the support of the Cancer Center Supporting Grant.
Conducts research experiments and projects.
- Conducts research projects with supervision; may include procurement and processing blood, isolating DNA/RNA, PCR/QPCR, mouse colony maintenance and experiments such as imaging, tissue harvesting, and tissue processing.
- Discusses all stages of each project with supervisor during lab meetings.
Operates laboratory apparatus and equipment.
- Learns equipment and relevant software needed to carry out experiments and general laboratory maintenance/cleaning.
Data gathering and analysis.
- Uses computer software efficiently for data acquisition, analysis, reporting and presentation.
- Records and evaluates data in accordance with methods requested.
- Maintains inventories, keeping precise, timely and accurate records.
General Laboratory duties.
- Prepares reagent stocks as directed by supervisor and postdoc fellows.
- Performs laboratory safety and provides general lab support as needed.
- Orders supplies for the laboratory.
Required: Bachelor’s degree, major course work in one of the basic sciences.
Required: No experience.
It is the policy of The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center to provide equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, age, national origin, sex, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, or any other basis protected by institutional policy or by federal, state or local laws unless such distinction is required by law. http://www.mdanderson.org/about-us/legal-and-policy/legal-statements/eeo-affirmative-action.html
- Requisition ID: 140067
- Employment Status: Full-Time
- Employee Status: Regular
- FLSA: non-exempt, eligible for overtime, and is subject to the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act (FLSA)
- Work Week: Days
- Fund Type: Soft
- Pivotal Position: No
- Minimum Salary: US Dollar (USD) 30,400
- Midpoint Salary: US Dollar (USD) 38,000
- Maximum Salary : US Dollar (USD) 45,600
- Science Jobs: Yes