Job ID: AF9498-0301-1204
The Executive Director of China Programs is responsible for overseeing the University’s academic programs with partner institutions in China. The Executive Director will report to the Provost and Vice President for Academic Affairs and will be directed by the Vice President for Joint Programs and Initiatives and the Program Office in China. The Executive Director will collaborate with multiple offices at Detroit Mercy and coordinate efforts to support the success of China programs.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
1) Travel to China on a regular basis with the possibility, depending on need, of being present in China 1-2 months at a time, with opportunities to teach in China
(2) Manage recruitment, hiring and orientation of instructors for the China programs and work with Colleges to coordinate teaching assignments
(3) Work closely with and under the direction of the University’s Vice President for Joint China Programs and Initiatives Support the success of courses taught for the China Programs through review and support of instructors, facilitating communication and meetings between sites and offices, addressing concerns, delivering orientation for faculty
(4) Facilitate communication and meetings between Detroit Mercy academic and support offices, and the China Program office
(5) Work in conjunction with the International Student Office and Detroit Mercy faculty and staff to identify and address issues for Chinese students enrolled in Detroit Mercy classes
(6) Advocate for international student issues on-campus and connect with international student groups
(7) Work closely with academic programs at Detroit Mercy and universities in China in matters of curriculum, course scheduling and student services
(8) Collaborate and interact regularly with academic departments and Associate/Assistant Deans to ensure all students in the China programs are properly advised and supported through to successful completion of their program requirements
(9) Serve as a positive and enthusiastic representative of Detroit Mercy
(10) Assist in recruiting efforts at partner institutions
(11) Serve as the primary point of contact/liaison for Detroit Mercy with the China Office as well as partner Universities in China
(12) Develop and monitor a budget including review and authorization of appropriate expenditures for the China programs in conjunction with Academic Deans and Detroit Mercy leadership
(13) Work with International Services Office to organize events, assist with orientation, contribute to and update a handbook and provide other support throughout the academic year for China Program students
(14) Maintain regular contact and work with the Admissions Office staff to ensure the timely processing of paperwork, student applications and issuing of I-20s.
(15) Work with partners in different time zones, and to respond to urgent matters after hours.
(16) All other duties as assigned.
Commensurate with experience
A Doctorate and experience in Administration of International Programs is required.
A PhD in a STEM discipline with 5+ years of teaching experience is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
The successful candidate will be an effective communicator, a strong team player with a positive attitude, and an enthusiastic student-centered administrator, engaging in best practices for multicultural engagement and a demonstrated commitment to supporting a diverse population of students.
Job may require lifting light weight objects (1 to 10 pounds) with no repetitive bending or stooping.
Occasionally lift average weight objects (1 to 10 pounds).
Regular exposure to favorable conditions such as those found in a normal office.
Monday – Friday, 8:30 a.m. – 5:00 p.m. with occasional nights and weekends.
About University of Detroit Mercy
Michigan’s largest, most comprehensive private university, the University of Detroit Mercy is an independent Catholic institution of higher education sponsored by the Religious Sisters of Mercy and Society of Jesus. The university seeks qualified candidates who will contribute to the University’s urban mission, commitment to diversity, and tradition of scholarly excellence. The University of Detroit Mercy is an Equal Opportunity Affirmative Action Employer with a diverse faculty and student body and welcomes persons of all backgrounds.