HJF is seeking a Research Assistant II to support the Viral and Rickettsial Diseases Department (VRDD) located at the Naval Medical Research Center (NMRC) in Silver Spring, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to VRDD. US citizenship is required.
The incumbent performs molecular biology experiments involving but not limited to nucleic acid purification, PCR, ligation, sequencing, primer design and basic data analysis. Trouble shoot, prepare and optimize standard operating procedures and maintain consistency in assay performance. Generate data from various next-generation sequencing technologies and participate in analysis and data interpretation.
- Perform molecular biology experiments involving but not limited to nucleic acid purification, PCR, ligation, sequencing, primer design and basic data analysis. (35%)
- Optimize and prepare standard operating procedures and maintain assay consistency. (20%)
- Keep detailed and complete laboratory notebook and/or inventory records. (15%)
- Assist with preparation of experimental data for scientific presentations and/or publications. (10%)
- Provide technical training to other laboratory staff where needed. (10%)
- Support research of other visiting scientists, research staff and summer students. (10%)
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Capability of performing complex laboratory procedures in molecular biology; strong analytical and trouble-shooting skills; good oral and written communication skills; working experience with high throughput next-generation sequencing technologies, such as Oxford Nanopore and/or Illumina is highly desirable; knowledge in Entomology is preferred but not required; prior experience in protein purification, tissue/cell culture, handling of small rodent animals is a plus.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree in Biological Science required.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: 3-5 years of relevant work experience required.
Work Environment: Set in a laboratory work environment.
Background/Security: U.S. citizenship required; eligible to obtain and maintain a Tier III Investigation/ Secret Clearance and Common Access Card (CAC).
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.