HJF is seeking a Research Assistant I to support the Biochemistry Department (BIO) located at the Uniformed Services University (USU) in Bethesda, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to the Biochemistry Department.
The Uniformed Services University is seeking a research assistant to help conduct laboratory research towards the understanding of brain development and neurodegeneration. The studies involve mouse models of human genetic diseases; aging, cell molecular biology, histology, and fluorescence microscopy.
- Provides overall research support and performs molecular biology and cell biology experiments towards completion of the ongoing projects of the Laboratory. (45%)
- Assists mouse colony maintenance, breeding, genotyping, behavioral experiments, tissue collection, and histology analyses of genetically modified mice. (40 %)
- Euthanizes mice with undesired genotype or whenever needed. (2%)
- Maintains clear and accurate laboratory records, inventories and logbooks; Maintains compliance with established laboratory safety and other Procedures. (5%)
- Performs data entry for research projects, and maintains databases, and Prepares laboratory solutions and chemicals, and orders lab supplies. (8%)
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities: Knowledge of standard laboratory techniques; ability to follow detailed instructions; good communication and analytical skills.
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree in Biology or related life science required.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: Minimum of 0-2 years of relevant work experience required.
Work Environment: Set in a laboratory work environment.
Background/Security: Eligibility to obtain and maintain a Tier I investigation/Public Trust and a Common Access Card (CAC).
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer.