HJF is seeking a Network Engineer to support the Network Operations Center (NOC) located in the Office of the Senior Vice President for the University and the Office of the Vice President for Information and Educational Technology at the Uniformed Services University (USU) in Bethesda, MD. HJF provides scientific, technical and programmatic support services to NOC. US Citizenship is required.
The incumbent of this position serves as a network administrator and systems manager for LAN and WAN, providing overall network infrastructure and data center management and support to University’s students, faculty and staff, as well as USUHS remote sites such as Twin Brooke, Rockledge, 11300 Rockville Pike, and the Post Graduate College, San Antonio, Texas.
- The incumbent serves as Tier/Level 3 technical advisor to the Division Chief, Network Operations USU, and the NOC technical staff for Local Area Network (LAN) architectures, topologies, and network operating systems. The incumbent is the agency expert in Local Area Networks with specific emphasis on Cisco LAN. (20%)
- The incumbent serves on highly specialized projects and is the agency expert in network hardware, software protocols, configuration, and IT telecommunication/network operations and management. As such he/she is responsible for managing all aspects of network architecture design, acquisition, installation and configuration, software and troubleshooting. (20%)
- Responsible for recommending, evaluating, selecting, installing and testing LAN hardware, software and the telecommunications interface, assuming lead in technical operations and tracking of local network interface and network servers. Analyze LAN and WAN network systems, including planning, designing, evaluating, selecting operating systems and protocol suites and configuring communication media with concentrators bridges and other devices. Present written results of analysis to supervisor. (20%)
- The incumbent provides technical expertise regarding the Cisco Network Operating Systems, VoIP, Cisco Identity Services Engine (ISE), Microsoft and Linux operating system, VMware software, Storage area network(SAN), Google Cloud Computing email system, Virtual Private Network (VPN) and guiding technical staff as required. (10%)
- Prepare and maintain system plans and instructions/guidance pertaining to the security of their systems operations. Implement Information Assurance Vulnerability Management (IAVM) updates, patches and perform compliance reporting as required by the USUHS IAVM Program. (10%)
- Ensure Risk Management Framework (RMF) controls are implemented for their specific systems, implement DISA Standard Technical Implementation Guide requirements, Security Readiness Reviews (SRRs), and perform compliance monitoring reporting. (10%)
- Perform annual assessments to meet RMF review requirements and provide evidence that support compliance reporting requirements. (10%)
- May perform other duties and responsibilities as assigned or directed by the supervisor. This may include attendance of and participation in required training for role.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
Incumbent must have expert knowledge and experience managing Microsoft client/server components in a multi-domain environment to include Web access, Simple Mail Transfer Protocol (SMTP), Lightweight Directory Access Protocol (LDAP), Post Office Protocol 3 (POP3), Internet Message Access Protocol (IMAP), and TCP-IP sufficient to maintain DIACAP security standards, existing operations and implement migration strategies including planning for continuity of operations during server upgrades. Expert knowledge and experience with network printers, patch management servers and other IT systems administration theories and concepts, in addition to TCP/IP client connectivity and client application. excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to work with a wide variety of personnel of varied technical knowledge. The incumbent must have skills to work in a dynamic environment where priorities change rapidly.
Minimum Education: Bachelors degree is required.
Minimum Experience/ Training Requirements: Minimum of 6-8 years of work related experience is required.
Required Licenses, Certification or Registration: Vendor training/certification preferred.
Work Environment: The work is performed in a typical office environment.
Background/Security: U.S. citizenship required; eligible to obtain and maintain a Tier III Investigation/ Secret Clearance.
Employment with HJF is contingent upon successful completion of a background check, which may include, but is not limited to, contacting your professional references, verification of previous employment, addresses, education, and credentials, a criminal background check, drug screening, and a department of motor vehicle (DMV) check.
Any qualifications to be considered as equivalents, in lieu of stated minimums, require the prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer