Camp Wediko/The Home for Little Wanderers is seeking a Summer Residential Counselor for their Windsor, NH based location. Located on 450 lakefront acres, Camp Wediko is a six-week co-ed residential camp. We serve children and adolescents ages 8–19 who are challenged with intense social, emotional and behavioral issues at home and school.
The Camp Wediko Residential Counselor is a member of an assigned clinical team. The Camp Wediko Residential Counselor is responsible for establishing a safe and therapeutic environment for our students in which they will be able to identify their strengths, and develop and practice new skills.
- Provide direct care and be a consistent presence for assigned Cabin Group.
- Consistently model appropriate behaviors, emotions, and communication skills, i.e., anger management, conflict resolution, and problem-solving skills.
- Lead and/or assist with behavioral interventions as taught and outlined in training model.
- Utilize approved behavior management techniques including use of de-escalation when de-escalation and/or physical intervention is necessary for crisis management.
- Seek and/or utilize feedback provided by Clinical Group Supervisors for professional development.
- Assist students in gaining the skills needed to live in a less restrictive setting.
- Utilize agency policies when responding to emergencies.
- Maintain a safe environment by reporting safety concerns to appropriate staff.
- Camp Wediko Residential Counselors must be at last 18 years old
- Must have completed some level of college education
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills required
- Ability to approach challenges in a supportive and creative manner
- Adaptability in an ever-changing work environment
- Camp Wediko Employees are responsible for transportation to one of the pick-up and drop-off locations at the beginning and end of the summer.
- During the summer, on days off, employees are responsible for acquiring transportation to/from the Camp Wediko NH setting.
- A driver’s license is convenient; but, it is not necessary to perform work responsibilities.
- The majority of work is outdoors in a rural environment, which means exposure to heat in summer. Duties may require employees to be outside during adverse weather. The duties of the position involve standing for the vast majority of the work period.
- Camp Wediko Employees are required to physically escort or hold students therapeutically to prevent students from being a danger to self or others.
- Camp Wediko Employees may be required to move equipment 50 pounds or more. Employees may be exposed to high noise level for extended periods of time related to event type.
Persons with disabilities may be able to perform the essential duties with reasonable accommodations. Reasonable accommodations will be evaluated on an individual basis and depend, in part, on the specific requirements for the job, limitations related to the disability and the ability of Camp Wediko to accommodate the limitation.