The Exhibition Design intern will work directly with the exhibition design team as a valued and accountable team member on a full range of projects at various stages in the design process. The intern will gain insight to all that encompasses the exhibition design process, from conception through completion. Depending on project schedules, the intern will work on an exhibition design project from beginning to build-out, to allow for a comprehensive understanding of the design process and the complex nature of an exhibition design project. Responsibilities include but are not limited to: developing mood boards, preparing maquettes and floor plans, executing site surveys, building physical and digital models, as well as drafting layouts, elevations and other design documentation as needed. The intern will gain practical design knowledge in the field and experience using softwares such as Sketchup and/or Vectorworks.
The Exhibition Design team is a part of the Experience Design department at the Art Institute of Chicago. The Exhibition Design team is responsible for designing all exhibitions, both temporary and permanent, that happen throughout the museum. Exhibition Design is a discipline in which creativity, art, architecture and design converge. Our team is composed of designers with different backgrounds all within the fields of art and design. As we have all found this profession through internships in which we have participated in, this internship will focus on mentorship and be an in-depth introduction to the exciting field of exhibition design.
- Deeper understanding of the process of designing a museum exhibition
- Strengthened design skills and experience in a multidisciplinary work environment
- Ability to translate a design concept to a detailed production package
- Knowledge of the inner-workings of a large art museum with a global collection
- Develop mentor relationships with field practitioners
- Build peer-to-peer relationships with fellow interns
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collaborate with the Exhibition Design team on ongoing projects and engage in each phase of the exhibition design process, from design direction to production
- Create appropriate design documents at each phase of a project, including maquettes, 3D models, site surveys, floor plans and production drawings
- Work with the Exhibition Design team to document the progress of a project in softwares such as Vectorworks and Sketchup
- Survey and 3D model diverse exhibition spaces in the museum, that will serve for future projects
- Support the Exhibition Design team in searching for existing casework within the museum inventory
About the McMullan Arts Leadership Internship:
The McMullan Arts Leadership Internship program is part of a museum-wide effort to provide students from diverse backgrounds, including those underrepresented in the museum field, the opportunity to gain experience, career awareness, networks, and skills that will together position them to succeed as future art museum leaders. Those selected join an intern cohort and have access to a range of programs to support their development in addition to their specific departmental placement. Mentorship is provided throughout the intern experience. Interns are also encouraged to remain connected to the museum and to other interns as part of an alumni network.
- Undergraduate or graduate student in the Chicago metropolitan area; recent graduates (within one year of graduation) will also be considered
- Major or focus in Architecture, Industrial Design, Interior Design or a related field
- Enthusiastic, proactive and adaptable personality; willing to jump in and assist with many diverse projects, as needed
- Curious about the intersections between art, architecture and design
- Ability and creativity to collaborate across disciplines
- Interested in design and its applications across disciplines
- If Vectorworks and Sketchup are not known softwares to the prospective intern, interest and willingness to learn the softwares that we use in our design process
***Please read through full description on our website, www.artic.edu/careers***
***Applications only accepted only through www.artic.edu/careers***
The application will close on June 15, 2021 at 10:00 PM CDT.
The Art Institute of Chicago is an equal opportunity, equal access employer fully committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workplace.