The department of Architecture and Design (A&D) is excited to host a McMullan Arts Leadership intern in collection management, where they aim to expose the student to key aspects of collections management work and digitization of art through a hands-on learning approach. The intern will be mentored by A&D’s collection manager through a direct approach to collection management work.
The department of Architecture and Design at the Art Institute of Chicago collects and exhibits work that illustrates the powerful role that architects and designers play as agents for change in society and culture. Our collection is distinguished by its strong holdings of modern and contemporary architecture and urban design, with a focus on work by architects and designers practicing in Chicago, including Louis Sullivan, Daniel Burnham, Marion Mahony Griffin, Ludwig Mies van der Rohe, Ludwig Hilberseimer, Bertrand Goldberg, Stanley Tigerman, Douglas Garofalo, and Jeanne Gang. Other collection highlights include postmodern architecture and increasingly diverse holdings of work by contemporary architects including David Adjaye, Tadao Ando, Andreas Angelidakis, Tatiana Bilbao, Frida Escobedo, Andrés Jaque, Johnston Marklee, Pezo von Ellrichshausen, and Amanda Williams.
The department’s collection of design includes important midcentury holdings by Charles and Ray Eames, Henry Glass, Charlotte Perriand, Charles Harrison, and the New Bauhaus/Institute of Design, as well as contemporary works of experimental and speculative design by Shigeru Ban, Dunne and Raby, Hella Jongerius, Julia Lohmann, Christien Meindertsma, and Norman Teague, among many others.
- Develop first-hand experience in collections database records
- Learn about the process of art acquisitioning and relevant museum policies
- Partake in the processing of archival collections
- Understand strategies and methods of collections care
- Gain skills in digitization and imaging processes
- Develop mentor relationships with field practitioners
- Build peer-to-peer relationships with fellow interns
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Review information on A&D’s collection database records and make revisions as necessary
- Draft digital content on behalf of A&D’s web presence, including drafting artist biographies, alt-text caption, digital tagging, and stylized web descriptions
- Review and update art object images for the museum’s website
- Maintain and organize information pertaining to the ordering materials for rehousing projects
- Digitize physical documents for A&D to assist with collection research projects
About the McMullan Arts Leadership Internship:
The McMullan Arts Leadership Internship program is part of a museum-wide effort to provide students from diverse backgrounds, including those underrepresented in the museum field, the opportunity to gain experience, career awareness, networks, and skills that will together position them to succeed as future art museum leaders. Those selected join an intern cohort and have access to a range of programs to support their development in addition to their specific departmental placement. Mentorship is provided throughout the intern experience. Interns are also encouraged to remain connected to the museum and to other interns as part of an alumni network.
- Upper level undergraduate or graduate student in the Chicago metropolitan area; recent graduates (within one year of graduation) with relevant museum/institutional experience will also be considered.
- Demonstrated interest or background in art history, museum studies, archival work, art handling, or other related field
- Strong organizational skills with a propensity for cross-collaboration
- Excellent interpersonal, analytical, multitasking, and writing skills
- Familiarity with Google Suite is preferred
***Please read through full description on our website, www.artic.edu/careers***
***Applications only accepted only through www.artic.edu/careers***
The application will close on June 15, 2021 at 10:00 PM CDT
The Art Institute of Chicago is an equal opportunity, equal access employer fully committed to achieving a diverse and inclusive workplace.