SSRC’s Finance Department is looking for an organized and energetic nonprofit staff accountant. The position will learn about the ever-changing and fast-paced world of international nonprofit accounting including accounts payable, payroll, and foreign and domestic vendor taxation. This is a great position to learn about an important facet of international nonprofit accounting.
The Social Science Research Council (SSRC) is an independent, international, nonprofit organization with an annual budget of over $20 million. The Council is devoted to the advancement of interdisciplinary research in the social sciences through a wide variety of workshops and conferences, fellowships and grants, summer training institutes, scholarly exchanges, research, and publications. For more information, please visit our website: www.ssrc.org.
- Maintain schedules and post entries for prepaid expenses
- Month and year end closing process including journal entries
- Assist with various audit functions; including the 990 tax return
- Perform additional duties as requested by management
- Full cycle accounts payable including vendor payments, fellowships and expense reimbursements
- Ensure proper, accurate, and timely recording of transactions
- Review documentation for proper invoices, receipts, award documents, banking information, etc. and communicate with staff to resolve inconsistencies
- Set-up 1099 or 1042S tax status for vendors in accounting software system
- Maintain vendor and accounts payable related files
- Proactively respond to inquiries from vendors and staff
- Monitor and correct ACH and wire payment issues with the bank
- Annual processing of tax forms to domestic and foreign recipients and the IRS
- Ensure proper, accurate and timely processing of payroll in coordination with payroll service
- Enter, track, and process all aspects of the biweekly payroll process and maintain all deductions needed for payroll through Namely
- Maintain and file all tax forms and employees’ tax status, including W4, IT 2104, and W2
- Research and answer payroll tax questions
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance with fiver years of accounting and payroll experience
- Proficient with using a fund accounting software such as Fund EZ, Intacct or MIP (strongly preferred)
- Ability to multitask and prioritize daily activities to meet competing deadlines
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail
- Ability to work well with others and collaborate effectively
- Good analytical, interpersonal, and writing skills
- Willingness to learn and adhere to departmental policies and procedures
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Flexibility to learn new skills and work on special projects on an as-needed basis
- Nonprofit work experience
- Familiarity Experience with wire and ACH banking
- Understanding of grants administration
Terms, Salary and Benefits
Competitive salary. Comprehensive benefits include health, dental, vision, disability, life, and gym reimbursement; annual tuition and/or student loan reimbursement and professional development funds; outstanding pension plan and tax savings programs; generous vacation and sick leave; and more.
The Social Science Research Council is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunity and to cultivating and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. SSRC maintains a policy of non-discrimination with all employees and applicants for employment. All aspects of employment with the Council are made on the basis of competence, skill and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, creed, color, religion, sex/gender, national origin/ancestry, ethnicity, age, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital or domestic partner status, medical conditions (including pregnancy and/or genetic information) or physical or mental disability, citizenship status or any other categories prohibited by law.