The Social Science Research Council (SSRC) is an independent, international, nonprofit organization devoted to the advancement of interdisciplinary research in the social sciences through a wide variety of workshops and conferences, fellowships and grants, summer training institutes, scholarly exchanges, research, and publications. For more information, please visit our website: www.ssrc.org.
The SSRC seeks an Communications/Editorial Assistant to provide editorial, administrative, and web content management support for the Communications Department, including copy editing and publishing essays, articles, and reports produced by the SSRC’s African Peacebuilding Network.
- Copyedit and proofread SSRC publications and web content according to standards of The Chicago Manual of Style.
- Copyedit, lay out, and publish articles, reports, and working papers for the SSRC’s African Peacebuilding Network, including the program’s digital forum, Kujenga Amani. Review related social media content as needed.
- Provide overall editorial and content management support for the SSRC website and online publications, including the SSRC’s online publication Items.
- Conduct photo research and select accompanying images for SSRC publications and web features.
- Assist with maintenance of SSRC editorial calendar, tracking publications across all SSRC programs.
- Assist with writing, editing, layout, and management of e-newsletter campaigns across the organization.
- Assist Director of Technology and Digital Operations with SSRC marketing list management and contact record data hygiene.
- Provide administrative support to the Communications Department, including departmental accounting, payment requests, supply orders, and filing.
- Additional responsibilities and projects as directed, depending on interest and capacity.
- Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences, humanities, or journalism/public affairs/communication.
- Strong writing and editing skills; experience copyediting and proofreading according to The Chicago Manual of Style
- Interest in and knowledge of Africa and/or peace, security, and post-conflict development issues.
- Experience with online publishing, maintaining websites, and photo research preferred. Experience with WordPress content management a plus.
- Strong organizational skills, with strong attention to detail and the ability to multitask and to prioritize daily activities to meet competing deadlines.
- Strong interpersonal communication skills for engaging with a variety of internal and external stakeholders.
- Comfort working on both the creative and analytical side of digital content management.
- Working knowledge of office productivity tools, such as G-Suite and Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word.
- Design experience utilizing Adobe Photoshop, Illustrator, and InDesign a plus.
- Experience with or interest in digital media and/or podcast production a plus.
Terms, Salary and Benefits
Annual salary is $40,000. Comprehensive benefits include health, dental, vision, disability, life, and gym reimbursement; annual tuition and/or student loan reimbursement; outstanding pension plan and tax savings programs; generous vacation and sick leave; and more.
The Social Science Research Council is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. We are dedicated to equal employment opportunity and to cultivating and sustaining a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. SSRC maintains a policy of non-discrimination with all employees and applicants for employment. All aspects of employment with the Council are made on the basis of competence, skill and qualifications and will not be influenced in any manner by race, creed, color, religion, sex/gender, national origin/ancestry, ethnicity, age, political affiliation, sexual orientation, marital or domestic partner status, medical conditions (including pregnancy and/or genetic information) or physical or mental disability, citizenship status or any other categories prohibited by law.