Region 1 Planning Council (RPC) is hiring an Economic Development Planner to join the team. This position is responsible for research and planning, grant writing, performance metrics, record keeping, and other activities that support the activities of RPC as an Economic Development District (EDD).
The initial focus will include research, writing, and other work necessary for submission of state and federal economic development grants; regional broadband planning; updates to and implementation of the Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS), and other duties as assigned.
The ideal candidate will have a strong interest or background in regional economic development, community development, and specifically, broadband planning.
Critical knowledge and fundamental skills required for the position, include:
- Knowledge of the theory, principles, and techniques of economic development, including regional economic development planning.
- Proficiency in economic and demographic research skills, including extensive familiarity with data sources.
- Superior writing skills, including the editing, oversight, or preparation of memos, strategic plans, and other technical reports.
- Strong verbal communication skills, including the ability to deliver engaging presentations
- Strong interpersonal and public relations skills to work effectively with various clients, officials, staff, and citizens.
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite and other software necessary to present and visualize written information and data.
Illustrative examples of work to be performed include:
- Facilitates the maintenance of the Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy (CEDS), including tracking progress of projects within the plan, interacting with stakeholders, providing narrative and data updates, and associated tasks.
- Utilizes geographic information systems (GIS) to analyze, produce reports, and visually display regional economic, demographic, and infrastructure data for partners.
- Searches for, accumulates, and formats data for analysis and visualization.
- Develops and maintains the organization’s key economic and demographic datasets, and researches and identifies additional datasets to be tracked.
- Establishes and maintains cooperative working relationships with local units of government, community organizations, and other agencies.
- Attends meetings, events, and other engagements representing RPC, including occasional evenings and weekends.
This is not an exhaustive list of responsibilities and tasks.
Graduation from an accredited institution with a bachelor’s degree in Economic Development, Community Development, Urban Planning, or a related field, plus 1-3 more years of relative experience. A satisfactory equivalent combination of experience and training which ensures the ability to perform the work may be considered.
Region 1 Planning Council is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity and inclusion.