ReGeneration Schools is a nonprofit school management organization that’s dedicated to revitalizing failing schools through a college prep and character mission. We manage three elementary Chicago International Charter Schools (CICS) on the south-side of Chicago, IL: CICS Avalon, CICS Basil, and CICS Washington Park. ReGeneration currently serves over 1,600 low-income students, with over 93% of our students identifying as African-American.
We are seeking an experienced full-time Special Education Teacher (K-8 Grades) to join our CICS Avalon, CICS Basil, and CICS Washington Park campuses for the 2021-2022 school year. A Special Education Teacher holds primary responsibility for providing academic, emotional, and physical services for students who require additional support to thrive within the school’s core academic program. This individual will work closely with the school team to supervise students (low incident LD/ED) according to their Individualized Education Plan (IEP). By implementing this plan, staff will help the students develop their full potential, while systematically increasing their socially appropriate behavior. We seek a teacher with superior content knowledge, a track record of providing excellent learning experiences that deepen students’ understanding of multiple literacy concepts, and a commitment to continuously improving their practice through collaboration.
- Believes low-income students can become college and career ready.
- High expectations for personal and team performance.
- Flexible to changing priorities and conditions.
- Demonstrate initiative and creativity.
- Communicate clearly and effectively verbally and in writing.
- Demonstrate mastery of academic subjects and behavioral interventions.
- 1-5 years of teaching experience in an urban setting.
- Valid LBS1 Teacher Certification required.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution required.
- Implement curricula and activities to meet academic standards.
- Set goals for the individualized education plan (IEP) that are achievable and comparable to non-diverse learner students in accordance with the State of Illinois.
- Develop draft IEPs for initial students with disabilities and/or annual reviews two weeks prior to the IEP meeting.
- Provide support and direction to paraprofessionals that are assigned to students or special education classrooms.
- Design, implement, and use informal and formal assessments to measure the progress of students.
- Work collaboratively with the school team to determine instructional and social needs of students that ensure success, and promotes students’ well-being.
- Collaborate with fellow teachers to create a data-driven, learner-centered, friendly, and safe environment demonstrating shared responsibility for achievement.
- Work with the RTI team by suggesting appropriate accommodations or interventions for students in the RTI process.
- Adhere to and support all school policies to enforce school core values, high expectations, and a strict code of conduct.
- Set and attain ambitious student achievement and social-emotional benchmarks.
- Model and encourage appropriate student behavior (i.e. grit, self-control, social intelligence, optimism, and curiosity).
- Work with the school team to constantly evaluate and improve mastery of instructional, culture building, and leadership skills.
- Maintain a classroom that demonstrates discipline, order, and rigor.
- Ensure that all students graduate ready for the next academic level.
- Be accountable for students’ mastery of academic standards.
- Communicate effectively with students, families, and colleagues.
- Reflect critically on teaching practice and implement improvement strategies as needed.
- Participate in mandatory summer orientation and training (3 weeks – starting August 1, 2019).
- Other duties as assigned.
Competitive salary (based on education and experience) and generous benefits package.
*ReGeneration Schools is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age or disability.