ReGeneration Schools is a nonprofit school management organization that’s dedicated to revitalizing failing schools through a college prep and character mission. We manage three elementary Chicago International Charter Schools (CICS) on the south-side of Chicago, IL: CICS Avalon, CICS Basil, and CICS Washington Park. ReGeneration currently serves over 1,600 low-income students, with over 93% of our students identifying as African-American.
We are seeking an experienced, full-time School Social Worker to support our CICS Basil and CICS Washington Park middle school campuses for the 2021-2022 school year. This individual must have a proven track record of working with families and community agencies in alleviating adverse conditions in order to promote academic success for all students. This individual will conduct screenings and assessments, and provide individual and group counseling. This individual will also help develop positive relationships with school staff, students, and their families and contribute significantly to building a learning team. They will also function as a member of the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) team to determine student’s eligibility for special services, appropriate programming, and on-going progress.
- Believes low-income students can become college and career ready.
- High expectations for personal and team performance.
- Flexible to changing priorities and conditions.
- Demonstrate initiative and creativity.
- Organized and able to multi-task to meet deadlines.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Strong general knowledge of the student population and experience with successful intervention strategies.
- Reliable transportation to support campuses.
- At least 2 years of social work experience in an urban setting required.
- Valid State Certification required (IL Type 73).
- Master’s Degree in Social Work from an accredited institution required.
- Must collaborate, troubleshoot, and communicate with students, parents/guardians, school leaders, and community stakeholders (with prompt response).
- Develop programs that provide counseling to address the child’s social, emotional, and academic needs in areas such as school performance, anger management, conflict resolution or substance abuse, etc.
- Facilitate processes for the evaluation of students for special education services and fully participate in the multidisciplinary team to promote student well-being.
- Use informal and formal assessments to support the development of students.
- Assess the need for and conduct instruction to parents on various topics including parenting skills, behavior management, ADHD, etc.
- Addresses legal issues such as child abuse, discipline and custodial arrangements.
- Provide one-on-one counseling or group counseling as needed to students and families.
- Collaborate with city and state agencies for crisis management strategies.
- Participate in IEP conferences including the preparation of IEP goals and objectives.
- Provide appropriate supervision of students during class breaks, meals, specials, and transitions to maintain an optimal work environment and to ensure students’ safety and well-being.
- Help complete necessary school-wide duties for the successful and orderly functioning of the school (e.g., hallway supervision, arrival/departure transitions, field trips, etc.) and other such duties as the Principal may request.
- Attend and participate in events outside of normal school hours (e.g. family nights, student performances, field trips, report card pick-up, teacher-parent conferences, family orientations, etc.).
- Partner with the Dean of Students to design and coordinate family-engagement and family-education activities (e.g. monthly family meetings, home visits, and records procurement for newly enrolled students, workshops, etc.).
- Engage families in their children’s education.
- Be receptive to feedback from school administrators and collaborators to improve practice.
- Weekly schedule: work two days at CICS Washington Park, three days at CICS Basil.
- Other duties as assigned.
Competitive salary and benefits (based on experience).
*ReGeneration is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, age, or disability.