Description of Camp Ramapo
Based on our 250-acre campus in Rhinebeck, New York, Camp Ramapo is Ramapo for Children’s residential summer camp that serves a diverse mix of children with a wide range of cognitive, social and emotional abilities. Some of our children bring with them the challenges of Autism Spectrum Disorders or other cognitive disabilities. Some bring with them the challenges of trauma or stress. ALL of our children are at risk of being relegated to the margins of their schools and communities.
As a Ramapo staff member, you will develop the skills you need to succeed with a broad range of children, including those who other adults may find difficult. You will learn to understand child behavior as communication. You will emerge with a heightened ability to meet children’s needs and to teach them new skills. You will learn how to create environments that celebrate strengths and enable all children to feel a sense of belonging. You will work hard every day you are here, and learn more than you ever thought possible. This is not just any summer camp job—it is an unparalleled opportunity to embrace the exceptional.
As a Camp Ramapo counselor, you’ll benefit from:
- Intensive, evidence-informed training on our Ramapo Approach, which is sought out by educators, school leaders, youth workers and caregivers around the world
- Daily interaction with children who face varying degrees of social, emotional and learning challenges
- A network of people within Ramapo for Children’s community, which includes year-round staff members, trainers, board members and counselor alumni, many of whom have gone on to pursue careers in education, social work and psychology
- Free room and board on our 250-acre campus plus summer stipend and travel reimbursement
- Up to six credits through an on-site college course, “Fieldwork in Special Education”
Ramapo for Children takes COVID-19 precautions seriously. Our protocols will continue to be guided by recommendations from the CDC and our local Department of Health. Ramapo will remain a place for campers and staff to learn and grow in a safe environment.