Perform routine analysis of patient specimens according to standard operating procedures (SOPs). Evaluate specimen acceptability upon receipt and during the review of analysis results. Evaluate validity of specimen results against the algorithms displayed by the lab computer system. Document all corrective actions taken. May perform secondary review of patient results when signed-off as competent to do so for applicable instrument(s) and/or data type(s).
- Maintain quality control of all laboratory testing to ensure accurate and timely lab reporting.
- Perform pending workload review periodically during the day; find pending assays and resolve outstanding work prior to the completion of testing for the day.
- Assist in the development and writing of new medical laboratory procedures and techniques.
- Follow safety procedures as per laboratory SOPs.
- Notify appropriate staff of supply shortages.
- Participate in continuing education through self-study, attending in-services and off-site lectures and meetings.
Minimum required education and experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in a Science Discipline
- Equivalent combination of education, training and experience
- Applicable certifications and licenses as required by country, state, and/or other regulatory bodies
Required knowledge, skills and abilities
• Ability to follow verbally communicated or written procedures
• Experience in routine laboratory procedures
• Attention to detail when performing laboratory procedures
• Ability to develop clear and efficient experimental documentation
• Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, managers and