- According to policies and procedures, perform routine and non-routine activities involved in the preparation of slides, for microscopic evaluation by pathologist(s). Under general supervision and,
- Secure the slice sample on a slide and use specialized dyes to stain it, bringing out cellular structures and allowing pathologists, or research scientists to identify abnormal cells and monitor cell function.
- Operates and performs routine and non-routine maintenance on histology laboratory equipment (including balances, tissue processors, embedding units, microtomes, cryostat, automatic stainers, automatic coverslippers, automatic cassette and slide labelers, microscopes immunohistochemistry and in situ hybridization autostainers, etc); demonstrates ability to trouble-shoot equipment with minimal supervision.
- Demonstration of mastery of study histologist role by assuming responsibility for studies of higher size or complexity without supervision, including acquiring proficiency in and/or providing training and technical guidance to team members on any needed specialized techniques.
- Ensure compliance with all local, federal, CLIA and CAPA regulations.
- Demonstrates mastery of specialized technical, scientific and/or administrative skills specific to histotechnology.
- Adhere to laboratory’s quality control policies, and document all quality control activities and maintain a clean and well-organized work area.
- Maintains proficiency and training requirements.
- Participates in special projects and perform other duties as assigned by Supervisor.
Minimum Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or Associates equivalent with 2 years of relevant previous laboratory and/or Clinical Trials experience OR Equivalent combination of education, training and experience