The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality strives to build and sustain an inclusive environment that embraces and values diversity. Employees at all levels of the agency work together to foster fairness, equity, inclusion, and belonging. We are an equal opportunity employer and do not discriminate based on race, color, national origin, ethnicity, veteran, gender, sexual orientation, religion, age, or physical or mental disability. Candidates from diverse backgrounds are welcomed. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job, and that candidate may not meet every one of our listed qualifications. Lived experience may count towards the preferred qualifications listed below. If you are excited about this position, we encourage you to apply. If you are unsure as to whether or not you meet the qualifications of this position, please contact us to discuss your application.
Are you passionate about protecting and enhancing Oregon’s environment? If so, please consider a career with the State of Oregon at the Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ). At DEQ, employees have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and supportive team of mission-focused individuals tasked with maintaining, restoring, and enhancing the quality of Oregon’s air, land, and water. Here is a video about DEQ: https://youtu.be/iP3K7JoLe1k
The Oregon Department of Environmental Quality has a full-time opportunity available for a Human Resource Generalist (Human Resources Analyst 2) located at DEQ Headquarters in Portland, Oregon.
Please consider joining an innovative team, and work to advance our agency’s mission to protect and improve Oregon’s environmental quality. The Human Resources section provides a full range of human resource services: employee and labor relations, recruitment and selection, affirmative action, diversity and inclusion, employee assistance and wellness, claims management, position classification and allocation, benefits and salary administration, policy and procedure, and record keeping. We support over 700 positions at offices throughout the State. Click here to view a map of all of the DEQ offices.
What you will do!
You will provide Human Resource Generalist services to managers and employees of assigned organizational areas within the agency. This will primarily include the development, implementation, and administration of full-life cycle recruitment and selection processes; project management; position management; employee relations and performance management; and training. You will provide back-up support to other HR Analysts who work with FMLA/OFLA, ADA, benefits, and classification and compensation. In addition, you will assist with and support diversity and inclusion initiatives.
What’s in it for you!
The opportunity to work in a productive and creative environment where no two days are ever the same! We offer a competitive benefits package that offers comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans for the employee and their qualified family members, as well as paid sick leave, vacation leave, personal leave, and 10 paid holidays a year. In addition, we offer membership in the Public Employees Retirement System (PERS), and you have the opportunity to potentially receive loan forgiveness under the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program (PSLF). If you are passionate about Oregon’s environment, apply today!
This is a full-time, management service non-supervisory position.
This recruitment may be used to fill future vacancies.
What are we looking for?
Minimum Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in Human Resource Management, Organizational Behavior or Development, Business or Public Administration, the Applied Behavioral Sciences, Industrial Relations, or a related degree, AND 2 years of professional-level Human Resources experience. If you have an unrelated degree, you need 5 years of Human Resources experience with 3 of those years being at the professional-level. If you have a PHR certification, you need 3 years of professional-level human resources experience.
Candidates who are most competitive will also reflect the following qualifications:
- Experience with several human resource functional areas such as classification, compensation, recruitment and selection, employee relations, human resource policy and rule development, performance management, benefits, leave of absence administration, and HRIS database administration.
- Experience in human resources in the public sector; experience in human resources in a union environment.
- Experience coordinating the full life cycle recruitment process from the creation of the job announcement to job offer; experience handling multiple recruitments at once for a variety of different positions.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; experience explaining, interpreting, and applying Federal and State employment laws, policies, procedures, rules, regulations, collective bargaining agreements, and Human Resource functions and best practices.
- Strong organizational and time management skills with an ability to switch priorities or projects seamlessly; high aptitude for learning new things and an ability to pay attention to detail.
- Experience with online recruitment software in a recruiter role (Workday experience preferred); highly proficient in Microsoft Office (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook).
- Excellent interpersonal and customer service skills; ability to develop constructive and cooperative working relationships with co-workers, employees, and business partners.
- Process improvement experience; strong problem solving skills.
Work is primarily in an office setting. There will be occasional travel within the state for consultation, meetings, and trainings. Must have a valid driver’s license.
How to Apply: (complete the application in full)
- External Applicants Click on the “Apply” button and submit your application. Click this link for the External Candidate job aid, and view this video for additional information.
- Internal Applicants (current State of Oregon employees): Apply through your employee Workday account. View this job aid for assistance.
- Be sure to attach a resume and cover letter.
- Allow yourself plenty of time to complete and submit the application, resume, and cover letter.
- Workday will timeout after 20 minutes of inactivity.
- This posting closes at 11:59 PM on the close date listed.
- Be sure to check both your email and Workday account for updates regarding this recruitment.
- Workday performs best in Google Chrome.
- Click here for Resources and a Job Support Page.
Please Note: In addition to your related work experience and education, DEQ will use the desired attributes and minimum qualifications above, under the “What are we looking for?” section to determine whom to interview. Please make sure your attributes and minimum qualifications are clearly demonstrated in your application material.
DEQ provides veterans’ preference points to all eligible veterans. For more information, please go here: https://www.oregon.gov/jobs/Pages/Veterans.aspx. For privacy reasons, please do not attach veterans’ preference documents when initially applying. You will be asked to submit those at a later time.
As an employer, the State of Oregon complies with HB 2005, the Pay Equity Bill. We do not discriminate on the basis of protected class in the payment of wages, and we do not screen applicants on the basis of their current or past compensation. Please visit http://www.oregon.gov/das/hr/pages/equity.aspx for more information.
DEQ does not offer visa sponsorships. Within three days of hire, all applicants will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security’s Form I-9, confirming authorization to work in the United States.
If you have questions about the recruitment or need assistance to participate in the application process, please contact Maddy Ouye, Human Resources Analyst, at email@example.com or (503) 347-5759. TTY users: please use the Oregon Telecommunications Relay Service at 1-800-735-2900.