The Ohio Department of Natural Resources (ODNR) mission is to ensure a balance between wise use and protection of our natural resources for the benefit of all. Click the following link to learn more about the Division of Parks and Watercraft.
This is a 1000 hour intermittent (unclassified) position for the Division of Parks & Watercraft. The locations are at multiple state parks located throughout Ohio. These positions are utilized during the division’s typical busiest season which runs from April 1st thru October 31st. We are looking for individuals that can work during this time period, but are not required to work the entire season.
What you’ll do:
Key responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Perform routine grounds maintenance such as mowing grass, trimming & cutting trees; planting trees, flowers & shrubbery; spreading mulch; painting signs & buildings
- Perform custodial & housekeeping duties such as cleaning restrooms, offices, campgrounds, service centers, park buildings, & shower houses, cleaning fire rings & grills, removing trash; wash & dry laundry; order supplies
- Perform public relations duties and excellent customer service by interacting with park visitors; collecting fees & writing receipts; selling park merchandise, registering campers/cabin/lodge guests, assisting with equipment rental like kayaks, canoes & bikes
- Help maintain state vehicles & equipment by changing oil, sharpening blades & changing spark plugs
What’s in it for you:
- Ability to work in some of the most beautiful parks in the country
- Daily interactions with a variety of guests who utilize the park and watercraft services
- At least a 14% employer contribution into your OPERS pension plan
What we are looking for:
- Customer service focus
- Passion for natural resources
Formal education in arithmetic that includes addition & subtraction & in reading & speaking common English vocabulary.
-Or equivalent of Minimum Class Qualifications For Employment noted above.
Knowledge of division operating rules & procedures*, safety practices associated with chemicals to be applied, & hand & power tools & motorized equipment to be used*. Skill in use of office equipment (e.g., telephone, photocopier, fax machine, cash register, calculator, typewriter, personal computer), 2-way radio, hand & power tools, motorized vehicles (e.g., pick-up truck, dump truck)*. Ability to carry out detailed, but basic written or oral instructions; add, subtract, multiply & divide whole numbers; read simple sentences with basic, concrete vocabulary; gather, collate & clarify information about data, people or things; work alone on some tasks & cooperate with co-workers on group projects.
(*)Developed after employment.
Equipment Operation: Power tools, push mowers, string trimmers, hedge trimmers, z-turn and front mount mowers, pickup truck, two-way radios, office equipment, cash register, carpet cleaner, waxer, buffer.
The State of Ohio is diverse, inclusive, and Equal Opportunity Employer. Under the Americans with Disability Act as Amended (ADAAA), if reasonable accommodation is required, please contact the Office of Human Resources at 614-265-6981 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Effective July 1, 2015 applicants must apply online for positions at all state agencies except the Department of Developmental Disabilities (DODD).
The final candidate selected for the position will be required to undergo a criminal background check. Criminal convictions do not necessarily preclude an applicant from consideration for a position. An individual assessment of an applicant’s prior criminal convictions will be made before excluding an applicant from consideration.