The Conservatory of Music at Oberlin College and Conservatory invites applications for a full-time Administrative and Professional Staff position as Assistant Director of Conservatory Admissions/Admissions Counselor beginning in the 2021-22 academic year.
The Oberlin College Conservatory of Music, founded in 1865, is the nation’s oldest continuously operating conservatory, and the only major music school in the country linked with a preeminent liberal arts college. Students are enrolled in undergraduate programs leading to the Bachelor of Music in performance, composition, electronic and computer music, jazz, music history, and historical performance. The Conservatory also offers Performance and Artist Diplomas in performance areas, an Artist Diploma in Piano Technology, and a postgraduate program in Recording and Audio Production.
Essential Job Functions
Enthusiastically and effectively promote the value of an Oberlin Conservatory education to prospective students, parents, and school counselors. Assist with the implementation of procedures and programs for attracting, evaluating, and matriculating Conservatory students. Participate in educational events, college fairs, information sessions, and recruitment activities as a representative of the Conservatory.
Additional responsibilities will vary, but may include tasks such as:
• Manage the Conservatory’s Campus Visit Program;
• Accurately present Oberlin and the Conservatory to students, parents, secondary school counselors, and alumni in small and large group settings;
• Interview and counsel prospective students and their families, conduct tours and host special visiting groups;
• Assist with audition event planning and implementation;
• Travel to represent the Conservatory at professional conferences, music educator trade shows, youth orchestra career days, auditions and college fairs;
• Correspond with admissions prospects, students, alumni, parents and educators;
• Develop and lead programs involving Conservatory admissions student ambassadors; assist with recruiting, hiring, and training campus tour guides;
• Support office efforts with Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion initiatives;
• Other duties as assigned.
• Bachelor’s degree;
• Familiarity with selective Conservatories and schools of music (preference given to individuals with prior music experience related to performance, education and administration);
• Interest in working with prospective students, families, and secondary school counselors;
• Ability to relate to and communicate with students and families from diverse ethnic, racial, religious, socioeconomic, and cultural backgrounds;
• Excellent written and oral communication skills;
• Willingness to travel when needed;
• Ability and commitment to deliver first-class customer service;
• Excellent attention to detail, organization, follow through, and creative planning skills;
• Ability to analyze challenges and implement solutions in a fast-paced environment;
• Ability to multi‐task, take initiative, establish priorities, and function with minimal supervision;
• Ability to work within a team, as well as with stakeholders across the college campus;
• Available to work flexible hours, including evenings and weekends;
• A valid driver’s license and the ability to meet Oberlin College insurability standards. Must be comfortable driving in unfamiliar areas with GPS assistance in a wide variety of traffic and weather conditions;
• Physical requirements include the ability to travel independently, work on a computer for up to eight hours a day, and lift up to 20 pounds.
• Previous Admissions experience;
• Knowledge of Oberlin College and Conservatory;
• One or more years’ experience in customer service, event coordination, and/or volunteer management;
• Comfort and experience with leading/supervising college students;
• Experience with Slate, Microsoft Office, FileMaker Pro, web content management, basic HTML;
• Familiarity with social media platforms