Under general supervision, is responsible for the safe, economical operation of County owned and operated sewage treatment plants and lift stations, providing maximum protection against pollution of surrounding waters. Conducts inspection tours of sewage treatment plants, checks daily log of plant activities and schedules repair crews for emergency repairs, normal repairs and preventative maintenance. Inspects new plants to ensure adherence to specifications. Maintains records and reports for County, state and federal agencies. Supervises and performs chemical tests on sewage samples. Utilizes current Countywide and/or department specific software to complete assignments.
Employees of this classification are required to be available for operational problems, equipment emergencies, widespread storms, power outages and other operations and maintenance emergencies as deemed necessary by management after normal working hours, weekends and holidays. Also, employees in this classification are assigned On-Call duties as required by management.
Applications will be rejected if the following information is not provided at the time of application:
- Class “B” or Class “C” Municipal Waste Water Treatment Certificate from the State of Michigan
- Thoroughly documented work history
- Valid Driver’s License number
- The application is incomplete in ANY capacity
1. a. Must possess a class “B” Municipal Waste Water Treatment certificate from the State of Michigan.
b. Have had at least four (4) years of full-time work experience in sewage treatment operations at least one (1) year of which must have been in a crew leader capacity; OR
2. a. Must possess a class “C” Municipal Waste Water Treatment certificate from the State of Michigan.
b. Have had at least six (6) years of full-time work experience in sewage treatment operations at least one (1) year of which must have been in a crew leader capacity.
3. Possess a valid United States motor vehicle operator’s or chauffeur’s license. Out of Country driver’s license holders will be required to obtain the appropriate valid State of Michigan driver’s license before hire date.
4. Pass the complete examination including the employment medical for this classification.
5. Successfully complete the six month probationary period.