We are seeking a Postdoctoral Research Associate in the Biostatistics and Multiscale Systems Group in the Advanced Computing for Health Sciences Section of the Computational Science and Engineering Division (CSED). The candidate will work on statistical and applied math problems related to healthcare outcomes using scalable ML/AI. We are specifically seeking a candidate with experience handling multimodal health and community level social and environmental data. The position requires innovative thinking to design and implement machine learning, or algorithmic solutions to real world problems in healthcare and biomedical research.
The candidate will be a Postdoctoral Research Associate within the Biostatistics and Multiscale Systems (BSMS) Group of the Advanced Computing for Health Sciences Section (ACH) in CSED. The ACH delivers scalable and computational solutions to biomedical and healthcare delivery challenges. The BSMS Group focuses on conducting research in computational, data, and engineering sciences in the context of biomedical, clinical, and public health disciplines and applying this knowledge to support the nation’s leading health initiatives.
As a postdoctoral research associate, you will have the opportunity to conduct computational research and collaborate with scientists within the group as well as with external partners which may include other national laboratories, academia, government, or medical centers. You will perform ground breaking research on a wide range of significant problems with the fastest computing platforms in the world. This position requires novel thinking, teamwork, and discovery in finding new approaches for analyzing massive and complex data, collaborating with worldwide experts, and publishing groundbreaking results.
- Participate in research projects in artificial intelligence and machine learning with applications to health sciences at the direction of principal investigators or delegated research scientists
- Experience with data integration tasks involving clinical and/or spatial data
- Experience with methodology for modeling patient trajectories or with methodology for population health modeling
- Work on collaborative projects within ORNL and with external collaborators
- Author peer reviewed papers, technical papers, reports and proposals for internal and external release and represent the organization by giving technical presentations in large public forums.
- Ph.D. in Statistics, Computer Science, Applied Math, or a field closely related to the job duties of this position completed within the last 5 years.
- A record of productive and creative research in AI/ML proven by publications in peer-reviewed journals and/or conference presentations
- A strong background in multi modal data handling – spatial, structured, and unstructured clinical data.
- A record of experience in developing and applying AI-based solutions to healthcare data
- Expertise in software development and high-performance computing
- Proven expertise in neural networks
- Experience with methods for patient health trajectories such as function data analysis, longitudinal data analysis, RNNs, or LSTMs
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to communicate in English to an international scientific audience
- The abilities to be a self-starter, to work independently and to participate creatively in a collaborative team effort
- Proven ability to function well in a dynamic research environment, set priorities, multi- task and adapt to emerging technical trends
Applicants cannot have received their Ph.D. more than five years prior to the date of application and must complete all degree requirements before starting their appointment. The appointment length will be for up to 24 months with the potential for extension. Initial appointments and extensions are subject to performance and the availability of funding.
Moving can be overwhelming and expensive. UT-Battelle offers a generous relocation package to ease the transition process. Domestic and international relocation assistance is available for certain positions. If invited to interview, be sure to ask your Recruiter (Talent Acquisition Partner) for details.
For more information about our benefits, working here, and living here, visit the “About” tab at jobs.ornl.gov.
This position will remain open for a minimum of 5 days after which it will close when a qualified candidate is identified and/or hired.
We accept Word (.doc, .docx), Adobe (unsecured .pdf), Rich Text Format (.rtf), and HTML (.htm, .html) up to 5MB in size. Resumes from third party vendors will not be accepted; these resumes will be deleted and the candidates submitted will not be considered for employment.
If you have trouble applying for a position, please email ORNLRecruiting@ornl.gov.
ORNL is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants, including individuals with disabilities and protected veterans, are encouraged to apply. UT-Battelle is an E-Verify employer.