Sign on bonus: This position is eligible for a $1,500 sign on bonus (paid out incrementally, with a work commitment).
*Current employees of any Northern Light Member Organizations or those with service break less than one year are not eligible.
Reports directly to the Revenue Cycle manager and acts as a liaison between patients, patients’ relatives, and the organization. Explains policies and procedures to patients and refers them to the proper services. Performs a variety of tasks such as switchboard operation, deposit preparation, petty cash reconciliation, charge entry and reconciliation, co-pay collection, patient registrations and authorizations/referrals.
• Able to manage multiple phone calls and operate the switchboard efficiently.
• Register patients as they present themselves.
• Performs pre-registration for various clinical departments.
• May require charge entry and reconciliation.
• Determine insurance eligibility, coverage levels, and billing requirements for patients. This requires the use of internet sites, computer links, and electronic data exchange software.
• Collects payments and verifies demographics information.
• Handles outgoing mail and schedules pickups for UPS and FED-EX.
• Prepare a deposit as necessary.
• Manage petty cash
• Promotes customer service which meets and exceeds expectations of all customers. Creates an environment which enables others to act and inspires a shared vision.
• Utilizes a continuous quality improvement (CQI) framework which includes the development and implementation of quality indicators and process improvement techniques.
• Represents the organization and EMHS in all interactions with staff, patients and families, Medical Staff, other health care professionals, community organizations and the public.
• Maintains professional growth and development through seminars, workshops and professional affiliations to keep abreast of latest trends and legal requirements.
• Participates in community and professional organizations and committees and also in internal committees and task forces.
• Performs all other duties as assigned or requested.
Competencies and skills:
* Achieves Results: Sets high standards for their own outcomes and seizes opportunities to engage others towards objectives. Consistently moves forward with direct actions in order to attain or exceed objectives. Manages their own time effectively to accomplish assigned tasks. Successfully prioritizes multiple projects and duties as needed.
* Behaves with Integrity and Builds Trust: Acts consistently in line with the core values, commitments and rules of conduct. Leads by example and tells the truth. Does what they say they will, when and how they say they will, or communicates an alternate plan.
* Cultivates Respect: Treats others fairly, embraces and values differences, and contributes to a culture of diversity, inclusion, empowerment and cooperation.
* Demonstrates Adaptability: Learns quickly when facing a new problem or unfamiliar task; is flexible in their approach with changing priorities and ambiguity. Manages change effectively and does not give up during adversity. Capable of changing one’s behavioral style and/or views in order to attain a goal. Absorbs new information readily and puts it into practice effectively.
* Demonstrates Emotional Intelligence: Exhibits a high level of self-awareness, self-management, other awareness and relationship management. Conducts themselves in an empathic, appropriate way, with a sense of humor and stimulates a collaborative work environment. Is respectful of the attitudes, feelings, or circumstances of others and aware of the influence of their own behavior on them. Is aware of relevant social, political, system, and professional trends and developments and uses this information for the organization’s benefit.
* Effectively Communicates: Listens, speaks and writes appropriately, using clear language. Communication methods are fitting to the message(s), audience, and situation and follow-ups are regular and timely. Shows that important (non-) verbal information is absorbed and understood and asks further questions to clarify when necessary. Expresses ideas and views clearly to others and has ability to adjust use of language to the audiences’ level.
* Fosters Accountability: Creates and participates in a work environment where people hold themselves and others accountable for processes, results and behaviors. Takes appropriate ownership not only of successes but also mistakes and works to correct them in a timely manner. Demonstrates understanding that we all work as a team and the quality and timeliness of work impacts everyone involved.
* Influences and Inspires: Builds enthusiasm and commitment among others to move in a desired direction and models it personally. Creates a compelling vision of success that motivates workplace initiative and energizes others to follow. Provides direction and guidance to encourage cooperation between team members in order to attain an objective. Has the ability to appropriately influence others’ actions and decisions with and without express authority.
* Multi-line Phone
* No previous experience required.
* Practices Compassion: Exhibits genuine care for people and is available and ready to help; displays a deep awareness of and strong willingness to relieve the suffering of others.
* Provides Patient-Centered Care: Demonstrates understanding of patient care quality and service as organizational priority. Proactively supports change to improve patient experience and results. Exhibits the ability and willingness to find out what the patient wants and needs and to act accordingly, taking the organizational and outside resources into account. Cooperates, collaborates, communicates, and integrates care within and between teams to ensure that care is continuous and reliable.
* Seeks Process Improvement & Applies System Thinking: Possesses and gains insight into situations, problems and processes. Understands the interconnection between organizational elements. Deconstructs problems and systematically investigates the various components. Considers the impact of actions on the entire process/system. Detects problems and opportunities, recognizes important information, and links various data to trace potential causes and relevant details.