The Cook/Baker prepares food items using food safety guidelines for patients and non-patient customers. They are expected to follow recipes accurately, track usage and make recommendations for improvements in products as well as processes. The cooks work together as a team. Duties include: operating and cleaning many pieces of kitchen equipment (slicers, ovens, broilers, grills, steam jacket kettles, etc) and calculating recipe quantities and projections of food quantities as needed.
• Follows departmental policies and procedures.
• Is flexible with work schedule.
• Willingly accepts direction and performs other duties as assigned.
• Participates in training new hires.
• Completes slicer duties according to standards and on time.
• Completes breakfast cook duties according to standards and on time.
• Completes vegetable prep duties according to standards and on time.
• Works all meal line positions as assigned: 1) food set up in steamtable prior to meal service; 2) hot cabinets stocked; 3) restocking of lines conducted with efficiency and excellent customer service; 4) back up products prepared as needed; 5) accepts alternate assignments as needed to expedite meal service. 6) assures foods are at appropriate temperatures during holding as well as when brought to the line
• Opens/closes kitchen area for cooks.
• Covers bakery assignment as needed.
• Covers diet kitchen assignment as needed.
• Prepares off-site meals as assigned.
• Communicates with coworkers to assure efficient production.
• Covers lead cook assignment as needed.
• Is involved in D-10 testing and taste tests foods prepared.
• Complete computer forecasting sheets at end of each patient meal.
• Manages time effectively.
• Attends mandatory inservices, completes ICare modules 2 wks prior to evaluation.
• Handles equipment safely and reports equipment malfunctions.
• Produces high quality foods by following standardized recipes, continually evaluates quality of production for flavor, appearance, texture, makes suggestions for improving recipes to supervisors.
• Demonstrates knowledge of food safety: 1) temperatures taken of hot foods every 20 min during holding or on the line; 2) hand hygiene and proper use of gloves; 3) practices time/temperature principles; 4) prevents cross contamination; 5) appropriately labels and dates foods for safe storage; 5) stores hot foods in shallow pans, covered and dated
• Cleaning responsibilities: 1) work area is cleaned and sanitized when finished with a task; 2) completes cleaning lists; 3) equipment is cleaned and sanitized when finished; 4) trash removed from work area as needed; 5) grease taken to recycling bin 3 times/week.
• All overtime approved by supervisor.
• Minimizes over-production by following production guides.
• Keeps supplies stocked to standard pars.
• Assures proper rotation of stored foods by using “first in first out”.
Competencies and skills:
* Four years’ experience in high volume foodservice setting
*At least two years focused on cooking.