Division of Administration
Information Technology Bureau- Troy
Student Assistant for Business Solutions Team
Reference No. ITB/BS_TROY_PUGS_SUM_2023
Application Deadline is April 14, 2023*
2023 Summer Paid Placement for Undergraduate Students
The New York State Office of the Attorney General’s (OAG) Information Technology Bureau (ITB) has paid placements available for qualified undergraduate students to work with the Business Solutions Team (BST) during the 2023 Summer Program. The BST supports the implementation of major OAG ITB initiatives. The BST is charged with developing enterprise level applications and providing customer-centric solutions involving these technologies. The ITB bureau manages multiple information systems including case management, charities registration and annual reporting, civil recoveries and debt collection, electronic payments, and other mission critical applications and functions.
The duties of the student assistant will include but not be limited to the following:
· Tracking and monitoring implementations to help increase effectiveness;
· Conducting research and analysis on the technology used at similar state agencies and entities;
· Preparing memos and presentations to report findings;
- Working collaboratively with staff in ITB and the OAG’s bureaus;
- Assisting with the documentation of existing applications and new application builds;
- Performing data cleansing, analysis, and summarizing large datasets;
- Learn new software applications to assist with proof-of-concept development; and
- Performing other qualitative and quantitative research tasks as needed.
The ITB is seeking applicants with the following qualifications/skills:
- Demonstrated interest in information technology;
- Prior experience in applying quantitative methods in research and/or analytics;
- Prior experience with programming and/or scripting;
· Strong presentation and verbal and written communication skills;
- Organized, self-directed, and curious;
- Experience using the Microsoft Office Suite: Word and Excel (including formulas and pivot tables);
- Knowledge of coding and querying languages (Python, SQL, R, Java, Net) is preferred, data visualization software is a plus (Tableau, Power BI, Azure); and
- An interest in programming and the application development lifecycle.
Summer Program Details
· The format of this placement is hybrid or remote. Please review the following for more information about both format options.
– Students who are working in a hybrid placement may report to their designated workstation two or three (2-3) days per week. On the days student will be working remotely, they will need to have access to a reliable computer, a secure internet connection, a phone and a sufficiently quiet and private workspace to telework.
– Students who are working a remote placement will telecommute for the duration of their placements. Students in this format must have access to a reliable computer, a secure internet connection, a phone and a sufficiently quiet and private workspace to telework.
· To be eligible for a paid summer placement, applicants must be able to demonstrate they are full-time students in good academic standing as defined by their schools. Applications from students who will be starting college/university during the fall 2023 semester will not be considered.
· Undergraduate students hired for the program will work full-time (37.5 hours/week) for the 8 weeks of the program. The program will run from June 5 – July 28, 2023. Students hired for the program must be available to work during these dates and for the entire 8 weeks of the program.
· Applications will be received online until April 14, 2023, and paid placement offers will be made on a rolling basis.*
· Undergraduate students will be hired as student assistants and paid the hourly rate of $15.00.
· Applicants must be available to meet by video conference for interviews.
· U.S. citizenship and New York State residency are not required, but applicants must be eligible to be employed in the U.S.
HOW TO APPLY
The following section provides detailed information about the application process and application requirements. Please review the complete list of instructions prior to preparing and submitting your application materials online.
· Applications for summer placements are being received online. To apply, please click on the following link: ITB/BS_TROY_PUGS_SUM_2023
· Applications are submitted separately for each bureau/regional office, and an applicant’s candidacy for each application is determined separately by each bureau/regional office.
· The application deadline is April 14, 2023, but please be advised paid placements will be filled on a rolling basis.
· The following four (4) documents are required for each application that is submitted:
1. Cover Letter
– You may choose to address to the Legal Recruitment Unit, 28 Liberty Street, New York, NY, 10005.
– Indicate why you are interested in a placement with the OAG and what makes you a strong candidate.
– Please indicate your format preference: hybrid or remote.
– Ensure your resume is complete and current prior to submitting your application.
3. List of three (3) references.
– Submit only professional (i.e., supervisor or professor) references.
– Indicate the nature and duration of your relationship to each reference.
– Include contact information and email addresses for each reference.
– Please note, your references will not be contacted until after you interview for the placement.
4. Writing Sample
– Select a sample from an assignment you prepared for school that demonstrates your ability to analyze and organize information into an effective document.
– We recommend submitting a sample that is 2-5 pages in length.
· Failure to submit a complete application will delay the consideration of your candidacy.
· Please submit your application for a summer placement at least three (3) weeks prior to any deadlines that could impact your candidacy and note this in your cover letter.
· Please allow at least three (3) weeks for your application to be processed and reviewed by the hiring bureau/regional office. You may submit an application status request by clicking here.
If you have questions about a placement with the OAG, the application process or need assistance with submitting your application, please contact Legal Recruitment via email at email@example.com.