The mission demands that NSA “see” the world through a different lens than any other organization. Our Computer Scientists face technical challenges well beyond the wildest imaginations of most people. NSA’s mission requires persistent engagement to anticipate and understand complex threats in real-time, on a global scale. From Counter-Terrorism to Combat Support to Cybersecurity, NSA’s Computer Science community creates novel, cutting-edge solutions that advance science and underpin every aspect of our foreign intelligence and cybersecurity missions. Solving these extraordinary problems allows NSA to share solutions with the world by contributing to open source, licensing patents, and publishing technical papers.
A world-class Computer Science cadre at NSA is vital to the security of the nation. The standards of reliability, repeatability, scale, speed, and compliance that NSA hardware and software products must meet are daunting. Industry and academia change the question to one that can be answered; NSA must answer the question as is. The mission problems, questions, and threats fuel our constant drive for more robust solutions and the use of revolutionary technologies like artificial intelligence, machine learning algorithms, high performance computing, big data analysis, anticipatory algorithms predictive analytics, complex data modeling, advanced computing and network architectures, distributed systems and sensor networks, advanced systems and IT networks, and those we create along the way.
Computer Science jobs at NSA run the entire spectrum of the field. Opportunities are available in systems software, mission applications software development, business applications and systems, advanced data management systems and analysis, development of advanced analytic environments, computing research, cybersecurity and encryption.
Applicants may also be considered for one of NSA’s Development Programs. Designed for entry to mid-level employees, development program participants are afforded the opportunity to receive tailored training, often with a cohort, and multiple assignments across Agency Directorates to develop skills and experience to ground their career at the NSA.
As an NSA Computer Scientist your responsibilities may include:
– creating analytic applications that scale across multiple, very large, data sets from disparate sources
– leveraging and integrating open source, commercial off-the-shelf, and government developed software
– leading new advances in computer science, such as:
– microprocessor-based advances
– beyond the horizon supercomputers
– signals processing (including analog control)
– user interfaces
– deep learning
– design and implementation of encryption
– advanced algorithms
As an NSA Cyber Developer, your responsibilities may include:
– detecting, identifying, and evaluating vulnerabilities in cyberspace systems
– developing software and/or hardware exploitation capabilities that enable collection of foreign intelligence from target networks and systems
– designing solutions to defend against adversarial threats directed towards the US, to include cutting-edge technologies such as mobile, SCADA, and Internet of Things
– analyzing sophisticated malware to thwart cyber attacks and identify new threats