Life University is seeking a dynamic and compassionate individual to serve as full-time counselor. Under the direction of the Student Success Center Director of Counseling, the counselor provides individual, group and couples counseling for students to help them determine their personal, educational, and vocational objectives. The counselor will help facilitate outreach, wellness workshops, presentations, and may supervise student counseling/psychology interns under the direction of the Director of Counseling. Life University has developed and implemented an Honor Code and Standards of Conduct, which serve as a set of expectations for the living and learning environment provided by the University.
1. Conduct intakes to determine student needs and provide culturally competent counseling services or appropriate referrals to a diverse student population.
2. Conduct therapy sessions with students for individual, group or couples’ sessions.
3. Administer evaluative assessments as needed.
4. Update and maintain confidential progress notes, intake, and termination paperwork.
5. Identify issues relating to the college student population, develop and present workshops designed to help students with these areas.
6. Coordinates with campus safety, faculty, administrators, and staff to provide crisis intervention, counseling, and referral.
7. Maintain current knowledge of theory, ethics, and best practices within the counseling profession.
8. Skill in establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with students, faculty, staff, and the public.
9. Facilitate classroom presentations regarding services as well as the needs of clinic staff.
10. Assist with awareness events and other department activities as needed.
11. Assist in organizing and maintaining a counseling referral and resource file.
12. Refers students to relevant community resources as needed.
13. Provides crisis counseling as needed.
14. Attend trainings and other meetings, as directed, to support effectiveness within the position as required.
15. Participates in campus wide initiatives that support Student Affairs.
16. Clinically supervise counseling/psychology interns.
17. Completes all required training and professional development sessions sponsored by Life University.
18. All other duties as assigned by all SSC Directors.
1. Maintains individual liability insurance.
2. Three (3) years fully licensed as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) or equivalent.
3. Certified Professional Counselor Supervisor (CPCS) or equivalent certification for supervising interns.
4. Maintains appropriate continued educational credits set forth by the state of Georgia.
5. College counseling experience.
6. Utilizing and incorporating technology to support the care of students; telemental health experience.
7. Interest and experience providing mental health care for women, LGBTQIA students, and students from underrepresented groups.
8. Experience with the development of prevention and wellness programs suitable for college campuses.
9. Experience with alcohol and other drug abuse prevention, treatment, and education programs.
10. Ability to work, as needed, on-call to meet the needs of the department.
11. Demonstrated experience of positive and proactive approaches in identifying problems, creating innovative solutions, managing projects, leading teams through collaboration, and implementing efficiencies and effectiveness using technology.
12. Bilingual in English/Spanish.
Education (must be from accredited universities) Training and/or Experience
1. A minimum of a Master’s degree with emphasis in Counseling, Psychology, Social Work, or equivalent.
2. Two years post graduate degree experience within the field (Counseling, Psychology, Social Work, or equivalent).
3. Licensed professional counselor with an active license in the state of Georgia.
Certifications, Licenses, Registrations
1. LPC or equivalent (Licensed Professional Counselor).
2. Licensed in the state of Georgia.
3. Demonstrated compliance with continuing education requirements per licensure.