The 2021 Lead for America Fellowship is now accepting applications.
NOTE: If you apply using the Handshake “Apply” button, we will contact you regarding next steps for the application. To be fully considered for the fellowship, all candidates must complete Lead For America’s external application on AirTable. To begin the fellowship application, follow this link.
Who We Are
A single visionary leader rooted in humility can change a community. Many working together can transform our country.
From the COVID-19 crisis to intergenerational poverty and ecological devastation, the challenges facing our communities and nation are immense. And our communities and public institutions––the very things designed to confront these challenges, give every American a chance at a better life, and care for those who can’t care for themselves––are crumbling exactly when we need them most.
Lead For America’s Fellows program builds the leadership force we need to address these challenges at scale, to change the narrative of success and worth in our country, and to ensure that every child has a chance at a better life, no matter their neighborhood or family circumstances.
The program is a paid, two-year fellowship for dynamic and diverse leaders who return to their hometown communities and home states to work full-time alongside local public institutions implementing proven strategies to improve community wellbeing.
The Civic Fellow will be the project manager for several priorities of the Mayor’s Advisory Commission:
- Restructure the delivery of services to the city. All too often when residents need assistance, they do not know who to call, so they dial 911. For many situations, there are existing agencies better trained, equipped, and specialized to serve the needs of residents. Increasing collaboration among providers within the public and private spheres could lead to better service and less reliance on the police. Residents also need to better understand the services available to them before a crisis occurs.
- Support subcommittees of the Commission in the following areas: Community Engagement, Community Health, Restorative Justice, Diversity & Inclusion.
- Recommend how diverse constituencies can best collaborate to advance Schenectady.
- Analyzing inventory of 911 calls coming in, research existing government agencies and nonprofits specializing in the areas, pull together stakeholders and citizens to make recommendations to improve delivery of services to residents. Some solutions will be poised for immediate action while others will happen over time.
- Coordinating and scheduling meetings; organizing the work of the Advisory Committee structure – a model between the city, partners, and stakeholders, and the community.
- Drafting progress reports detailing the work of subcommittees and activities completed to ensure transparency and accountability.
- Conducting staff-level analysis as needed, such as researching complex topics and summarizing findings in email/memo format, drafting reports which may go before the City Council, drafting presentations for internal and external audiences.
- Working on the Make the Right Call campaign to help residents understand when and where to go for assistance.
- Fellows are also expected to provide any general support as needed, filling in any gaps left by unforeseen circumstances.
First Round Deadline: May 15th
Semifinalist Deadline: May 29th
Finalist Interviews: June 6th-7th
Endorsed Finalist Selection: June 14th
First Round Deadline: June 15th
Finalist Interviews: June 16th-23rd
Endorsed Finalist Selection: July 2nd
-Be a U.S. Citizen, National, or Lawful Permanent Resident.
-If in college, be on track to earn an undergraduate degree by June 2021, and if graduated, have earned an undergraduate degree in 2012 or later (this may include an associate degree).
-Be able to make a full-time commitment (the fellowship is a full-time job).
Learn More & Contact Us
To learn more about the fellowship program or LFA, please see here.
To schedule a call with an LFA Fellow, please see here.
If you do not see an email from LFA after submitting your registration in the LFA application portal, please check your spam folder.