Candidates must be accepted into one of the Graduate Programs here at Lander University prior to beginning the position.
Compensation: Selected candidate will receive a 50% tuition and fee waiver as well as a $3000 stipend per semester. Note that if the GA position does not relate directly to their graduate studies the student will be taxed on the stipend and tuition benefits. Graduate Assistants work approximately 20 hours per week during the school year. Graduate Assistantships may be renewed for one additional year.
The GA for Campus Recreation will assist the department in all programming areas which include but are not limited to: Facility Management, Group Exercise, Intramural sports, Special Events, and Aquatics.
- Assists with the overall operation and supervision of the Chandler Center facilities during assigned work hours and act as the primary supervisor for student staff in the late evening/night hours of operation. Supervises and assists in training approximately 30 student staff for equipment issue and weight room, laundry service, inventory control, and ensuring appropriate issue and return of equipment and laundry.
- Assists in planning, implementing, and supervising Lander Outdoor Adventure Programs.
- Assists in a variety of special events, including: Rec-a-palooza, Moonshine Run, Strongest Bearcat, and Global Rec Fest. Together, this includes over 10 additional recreational special event activities.
- Assists with managing Campus Recreation’s social media outlets and leading marketing campaigns. Assist with updating and overall management of Imleagues.com and the #LUREC app.
- Assists with various Student Affairs functions including Launch into Lander, open houses, and Parents Day as well as emphasis on camps and conferences, outdoor pool management, and new student orientation.
The GA for Campus Recreation is essential to the continued growth of the co-curricular experience at Lander. Campus Recreation is a crucial part of the student experience on Lander’s campus and beyond. The GA for Campus Recreation will dramatically increase the department’s ability to efficiently coordinate space in the Chandler Center not only for recreation programs but also the growing number of academic programs, athletic teams, student groups, and campus partners who require a space for their co-curricular activities. The GA will gain a variety of experience in the many sectors of student experience that fall under campus recreation. This GA will enhance the student experience on Lander’s Campus by assisting with our group exercise and intramural offerings. In doing this, the Campus Recreation Professional staff members will be able to focus on additional areas of need and improving the quality of recreational programs on and off campus.