System Administrators are the gatekeepers to the many systems that run our company and our clients. As a System Admin with IBM, you will have the opportunity to provide high-value IT services and leverage our leading-edge technology portfolio in our global network. Your work has a direct impact on the day-to-day productivity of our business by ensuring integrity of, and access to, our most important resource: data.
This position sits within Global Technology Services (GTS) Infrastructure Services (IS). As announced in October 2020, IBM intends that the managed infrastructure services business of the GTS organization within IBM will become an independent company (currently known as NewCo) by the end of 2021, creating two distinct and powerful market-leading companies. NewCo has incredible potential, and we will unlock it together while we make history as a newly independent company that will be the #1 managed IS services provider on “day one” as a publicly traded company. NewCo will be positioned for financial success with over 4600 clients and approximately $19 billion in annual revenue. Drawing on the best of IBM, it will include our unmatched talent, the breadth of our services, an even broader ecosystem of partners, and our deep global client relationships. Please note: The final decision if this position will transition from IBM to NewCo is still yet to be confirmed.
Your Role and Responsibilities
The Columbia, MO Client Innovation Center is seeking to hire a UNIX Technical Support Admin ready to dive into Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL). This role will involves support for UNIX/Linux servers systems of multiple clients, including security and patch management, health checking, incident troubleshooting, and handling customer requests. Important skills include but are not limited to:
– Ability to identify, analyze, and resolve problems; support problem and change tickets for client servers. This involves problem determination and implementation of changes to hardware and/or software. Interaction with other teams is often required to solve issues.
– Growth mindset, including a willingness to facilitate or engage in problem solving independently and with others
– Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a demanding environment.
– Strong intellectual curiosity, motivation to learn and advance in the profession.
– Good communication skills. This position involves daily participation in cadence discussion on team performance. The team discusses issues or challenges, and receives troubleshooting input/advice from other team members.
Please note that the position is physically located in Columbia, Missouri (USA). No remote work is available, except when required by the business.
Required Technical and Professional Expertise
- Knowledge of administering, maintaining, and use of the Linux operating system and its associated software.
- Knowledge/experience in one or more of the following: installing, troubleshooting, operating, testing, planning and configuring relevant Linux technologies.
- Basic knowledge in Agile methodologies.
- Strong oral and written communication skills and interpersonal skills.
- Fluent in English language.
Preferred Technical and Professional Expertise
- Associate’s Degree/College Diploma in Information Technology
- At least 6 months experience in one or more of the following areas: AIX, UNIX, LINUX, RHEL, SUSE.
- Familiarity with Ansible, especially Ansible Tower.
- Knowledge of HW/SW RAID, Linux LVM and file systems.
- Knowledge of networking and TCP/IP configuration at the OS level
- Familiarity with SAN storage, Linux OS tuning and handling of common configuration files.
- Problem determination skill with knowledge on searching vendor knowledge bases, opening vendor support requests, generating diagnostic reports and uploading to vendor
- Ability to write scripts in one or more of the scripting languages such as bash, Perl or Python
- Excellent understanding of authentication and authorization technologies such as PAM, LDAP and Kerberos.