FULL-TIME JOB VACANCY
Development and Outreach Department
Application Deadline: June 30, 2021
The Development and Outreach Department of Human Rights Watch (HRW) is seeking candidates for the position of Coordinator in our Los Angeles office to provide assistance to the Development and Outreach team in Southern California. The Los Angeles office serves as an important base for HRW’s development, fundraising, and outreach activities in Southern California. This is a full-time position, reporting to the Manager for Southern California.
Due to COVID-19, many of our global offices are currently closed or operating in reduced capacities. The successful candidate may be required to work remotely initially or if local requirements mandate it. We recognize that this moment, during the pandemic, is a uniquely difficult time for most people, particularly those with caregiving responsibilities, and we aim to be as flexible and supportive as possible in both the recruitment for and onboarding of this position.
1. Provide administrative support to the Director and Manager of Southern California and Director of Santa Barbara, including scheduling, preparing for and taking minutes at meetings, recording and processing divisional finances, and making travel arrangements;
2. Provide special event support for the annual dinners, film screenings, and other events throughout the year by managing mailings, tracking RSVP’s, overseeing volunteers and interns, coordinating materials, working with vendors, etc.;
3. Coordinate local events such as Committee meetings, receptions, and briefings;
4. Assist with prospect and donor relationship management with Los Angeles Committee members and Santa Barbara Committee members by coordinating correspondence, contacting donors, scheduling and preparing for donor meetings, and tracking communication;
5. Provide general administrative and operational support to the Los Angeles office, including providing orientations, answering phones, processing mailings, maintaining accurate files, responding to requests for information, troubleshooting issues that arise, liaising with vendors such as internet providers, monitoring office administration budget, ordering supplies, and handling office maintenance and facilities issues such as office security;
6. Maintain the Salesforce donor database by updating records and information, processing gifts from all Southern California donors, generating financial reports, lists, updating information, overseeing data entry for special events and ensuring the integrity and confidentiality of the data;
7. Prepare, format, edit and distribute communications, correspondence, and documents, including web content for the Los Angeles and Santa Barbara web pages and other relevant social media;
8. Coordinate the recruitment, supervision, and mentoring of work-study students and interns; and
9. Carry out other duties as required.
Education: A bachelor’s degree international relations, social sciences, communications/marketing, or equivalent work experience, specifically supporting the administrative work of a team, is required.
Experience: A minimum of two years of relevant work experience and a demonstrated interest in human rights are required.
Related Skills and Knowledge:
1. Prior office/administration experience and strong organizational skills are required. Excellent oral and written communication skills in English are required.
2. Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to communicate with a variety of audiences, including donors are required.
3. Ability to work well under pressure while juggling multiple tasks simultaneously is required.
4. Self-motivation and the ability to prioritize with minimal supervision and work independently as well as function as a member of a team with staff in multiple locations globally are required.
5. Strong analytical skills and the natural curiosity and creativity needed to conduct online research are required.
6. Ability to make sound decisions consistent with functions is required.
7. Proficiency in computer programs including MS Office applications is required; experience with Salesforce or other donor databases is desirable.
8. Experience with event planning, community engagement, and/or philanthropy is preferred.
Other: Please note that occasional evening work will be required for special events.
Salary and Benefits: Salary range starts at $52,513. Human Rights Watch offers comprehensive employer-paid benefits, including medical, dental, vision, disability and life insurance, an outstanding retirement savings plan and twenty (20) days of vacation per year.
How to Apply: Please apply immediately or by June 30, 2021 by visiting our online job portal and attaching a letter of interest and resume or CV preferably as PDF files. No calls or email inquiries, please. Only complete applications will be reviewed and only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
If you are experiencing technical difficulties with your application submission, please email firstname.lastname@example.org. Due to the large response, application submissions via email will not be accepted and inquiries regarding the status of applications will go unanswered.
Human Rights Watch is strong because it is diverse. We actively seek a diverse applicant pool and encourage candidates of all backgrounds to apply. Human Rights Watch does not discriminate on the basis of disability, age, gender identity and expression, national origin, race and ethnicity, religious beliefs, sexual orientation, or criminal record. We welcome all kinds of diversity. Our employees include people who are parents and nonparents, the self-taught and university educated, and from a wide span of socio-economic backgrounds and perspectives on the world. Human Rights Watch is an equal opportunity employer.
Human Rights Watch is an international human rights monitoring and advocacy organization known for its in-depth investigations, its incisive and timely reporting, its innovative and high-profile advocacy campaigns, and its success in changing the human rights-related policies and practices of influential governments and international institutions.