Holden Forests & Gardens
Horticulturist, Cleveland Botanical Garden
Holden Forests & Gardens (HF&G) is entering a new phase of garden enhancement and investment as we roll out our 5-year strategic plan. Master planning with NelsonByrdWoltz is in progress and the future is exciting as Horticulture & Collections teams expand. Come and join HF&G and make your mark as together we elevate and enhance our Gardens and Natural Landscapes.
HF&G seeks a skilled, knowledgeable, and practical Horticulturist to join our team at Holden Arboretum. This position uses sound horticultural principles to develop landscapes and ensure plants are grown and cared for under optimal conditions; Leads the planning and maintenance of garden tasks in specific garden areas with assistance from gardeners; participates in short and long-range planning activities guided by the HF&G’s strategic objectives and assists in the setting of goals to accomplish those objectives; takes initiative in developing and implementing improvements for gardens; shares knowledge with colleagues and guests through tours, classes and social media; Works collaboratively with HF&G colleagues in other depts to promote and inspire action in our community; presents a positive attitude that leads to successful teamwork, superb customer service and a high-quality aesthetic.
HF&G is made up of two of Northeast Ohio’s most important environmental and cultural institutions — Holden Arboretum and Cleveland Botanical Garden — whose mission is to connect people with the wonder, beauty, and value of trees and plants, to inspire action for healthy communities. By joining HF&G, you have the opportunity to work in a beautiful setting and also have the ability to contribute to our fulfilling and groundbreaking work.
Schedules available: Tuesday through Saturday or Monday through Friday.
Key Qualifications and Requirements
· Bachelor’s degree in horticulture, botany or related field is preferred. Significant practical horticulture experience in a garden of merit and deep plant knowledge will be considered in lieu of a Horticulture degree.
· A minimum of 5 years of experience in landscaping, garden maintenance or related field; previous work experience in public horticulture gardens a plus.
· Broad range of plant knowledge including nomenclature, husbandry, pruning, required conditions preferred.
· Possess a strong sense of garden aesthetics; experience in garden design preferred.
· Ability to plan and communicate garden works to a team.
· Work independently as well as on a team.
· Possess strong oral and written communication skills and proficiency with computer software (Word and excel required).
· Possessing a pesticide applicator’s license or the ability to obtain is preferred.
· Experience working in a public garden, university garden or horticultural organization preferred.
· A valid Driver’s License and acceptable driving record are required to be covered on Holden Forests & Garden’s vehicle insurance policy if using company vehicles.
· Must undergo a criminal background check.
Review of applications with begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Holden Forests & Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable, and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost public garden and arboretum.