Garden Experiences and Education Intern (botanical garden)
Holden Forests & Gardens is comprised of two world-renowned public gardens; Holden Arboretum located in rural Kirtland, Ohio and Cleveland Botanical Garden located in the urban University Circle region of Cleveland, Ohio. This position’s location is at Cleveland Botanical Garden which includes 10 acres of outdoor themed gardens, 2 indoor glasshouses and visitor, staff, event, education and parking facilities.
The Garden Experiences and Education Intern will be supervised through the Exhibits and Experiences department and will contribute to the development of informal educational experiences at Cleveland Botanical Garden. The intern must be a proactive, self-starter comfortable with working independently and corresponding with professionals across the organization via telephone and email. The intern will work very closely with HF&G Education Department in collaborative efforts to develop experiences that engage families with plants at Cleveland Botanical Garden while maintaining brand standards.
Responsibilities and Duties:
· Develop and maintain educational programs on Garden Guide mobile website educational tool, working closely with HF&G Horticulture and Collections, Graphic Design, and Exhibits and Experiences Teams, as well as external partners
· Work collaboratively to develop a monthly activity packet to be passed out to families at the Hershey Children’s Garden.
· Assist with internal logistics, installation and maintenance of the summer exhibit installation, Fairy Doors.
· Collect usage data for Activity Packets and report findings.
· Depending on interest, accessibility and availability, assist with programming at Holden Arboretum campus and for off-site events.
· Present work to select HF&G staff throughout the extent of the internship
Qualifications and Skills:
· Intern must have experience and proficiency in a Windows/PC work environment as well as strong organization skills
· He/She/They must have enthusiasm and a positive attitude.
· He/She/They must have their own working computer and access to the internet.
· The intern should also demonstrate an interest in non-traditional museums spaces such as formal gardens.
· Intern should be proficient in creating images, drawings or designs that communicate a story, message or idea through a combination of traditional and digital media.
- Intern must pass a relevant background check before hire.
- Studio Institute screens applicants for eligibility before they apply to this position.
- To qualify, students must:
o Be enrolled full-time in a Bachelor’s program as a Junior or Senior as of January 2021
o Reside or attend college/university in Cleveland
o Have an Expected Family Contribution (EFC) of $5,000 or less on their FAFSA
- Once on board, orientation consists of virtually meeting the staff from select departments in which the intern will work closely with, touring the building with safe social distancing measures, and meeting with HR. Intern will also go through a brief orientation session introducing Holden Forests and Gardens IT services, such as email, O365, server use and file set up, etc.
- Intern work schedule will require approximately 28-32 hours per week. Workdays will be negotiated based on intern availability and HF&G exhibit/programming schedule.
- Training will consist of a virtual meeting with Manager of Interpretive Services and Director of Exhibits and Experiences to discuss the goals of the department at Holden Forests and Gardens and the larger role this internship’s project will play in the achievement of these goals. A similar meeting will be conducted with Education Department Staff. Project timelines and expectations will be discussed.
- Additional training pertaining to maintenance and management of HF&G mobile website educational tool, Garden Guide, will be conducted during the first week of the internship.
- Internship supervisor is working from home with occasional presence on-site which varies depending on exhibit schedule. Supervisor also often works at sister campus, Holden Arboretum. Supervisor will expect to meet at least once per week, with possible additional meetings depending on project schedules, to check in on timeline benchmark.
Review of applications with begin immediately.
Qualified applicants must apply for this internship through Studio Institute first THEN students can apply through HF&G’s employment portal.
Holden Forests & Gardens is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to hiring a diverse and talented workforce. We seek skilled, knowledgeable and experienced individuals to join our staff and enhance our reputation as one of the country’s foremost public gardens. Holden Forests & Gardens is an ADA employer and a drug-free workplace