Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The Clinical Research Center Medical Assistant (MA) works as part of a multi-disciplinary team performing clinical and laboratory procedures for research protocols in a dedicated clinical trials unit at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center. This position requires daily interaction with study participants, physician-investigators, and other research personnel.
The MA works under the supervision of the unit’s APP Facility Manager and uses judgment in determining the needs of research staff and study participants, and performs routine protocol activities, such as blood draws, blood pressure, heart rate, temperature, and other common measures, within the framework of the unit’s policies and procedures and protocol requirements. The incumbent will also assist with the coordination of the unit’s administrative and operational tasks. This work may include serving as the unit’s front office liaison and coordinating study participants, study staff, IDS pharmacy, couriers, processing labs, and Center facilities. The MA works responsibly, accurately and independently under the supervision of the clinical trial unit’s management and perform multiple tasks with high level of attention to detail.
- Responsible for updating database with participant information and services and tracking study identification
- Perform in accordance with research protocols delegated functions and procedures which are at an MA level. This may include such procedures as blood pressure, heart rate, temperature, serial blood draws, and other common measurements. Assessment of values within normal range and reporting abnormalities to supervisor.
- Confirms appointment time requirements, procedures required by each participant and visit, and clinic staffing during that time
- Collect and process blood, urine, and biopsy specimens according to specific research protocol, OSHA and Fred Hutch requirements and regulations. Process and store specimens in designated locations accurately
- Understand and conduct sterile technique protocols when required
- Assist MD investigators and staff APP in biopsy procedures and other procedures such as port access blood draws
- Package specimens for shipment according to Fred Hutch protocols including contact with the receiving lab and documenting confirmation of receipt
- Coordinate time-sensitive processes with courier, processing labs and pharmacy ensuring appropriate handling procedures are followed and documented according to study protocol and the unit’s SOPs
- Create sample collection forms and labels according to study needs
- Assemble blood and sample collection supplies and processing setups and maintain study inventories
- Maintain, track, and order laboratory and clinic room supplies.
- Manage the check-in procedure for all participant visits and study staff performing protocol activities in the clinical trial unit
- Must have a high school diploma or GED
- Medical Assistant license in the State of Washington and or NCMA Certification
- A minimum of 6 month MA experience required (Preferred certification in phlebotomy)
- CPR AHA certified
- Intermediate computer skills in Word and Excel required
- Must have excellent communication skills and bedside manner
- Must be able to multi-task quickly, but still maintain a high level of accuracy and precision. Attention to detail is required.
- Ability to multi-task and work under pressure with changing priorities
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism in your career or that will be made through work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at firstname.lastname@example.org or by calling 206-667-4700.