Cures Start Here. At Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center, home to three Nobel laureates, interdisciplinary teams of world-renowned scientists seek new and innovative ways to prevent, diagnose and treat cancer, HIV/AIDS and other life-threatening diseases. Fred Hutch’s pioneering work in bone marrow transplantation led to the development of immunotherapy, which harnesses the power of the immune system to treat cancer. An independent, nonprofit research institute based in Seattle, Fred Hutch houses the nation’s first cancer prevention research program, as well as the clinical coordinating center of the Women’s Health Initiative and the international headquarters of the HIV Vaccine Trials Network. Careers Start Here.
At Fred Hutch, we believe that the innovation, collaboration, and rigor that result from diversity and inclusion are critical to our mission of eliminating cancer and related diseases. We seek employees who bring different and innovative ways of seeing the world and solving problems. Fred Hutch is in pursuit of becoming an antiracist organization. We are committed to ensuring that all candidates hired share our commitment to diversity, antiracism, and inclusion.
The Administrative Manager will provide senior level administrative management support to the Senior Vice President (SVP) and Director of the Vaccine and Infectious Disease Division (VIDD) at the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center (Fred Hutch). The SVP and Director of VIDD, a global leader in the study of ways to prevent and control infection with HIV, is responsible for the scientific leadership and strategy for VIDD, directs the HIV Vaccine Trials Network Laboratory Center and HIV Vaccine Trials Unit, holds a number of prestigious national and international leadership roles and oversees an annual research portfolio of ~$100M.
This position will independently perform administrative and secretarial duties of a complex, specialized, and/or confidential nature, using judgment to interpret Center policy, represent the executive, and interact with Fred Hutch staff, collaborators and outside organizations. This role oversees the management of and coordination of this leader’s extensive calendar activities, travel management, expense reimbursement, publishing and development activities. This role requires an ability to direct and manage multiple priorities, quickly analyze situations and make sound decisions using effective time management skills, good business acumen and administrative judgment. Creativity and excellent interpersonal skills are essential. This position must have a highly effective level of communication and be able to anticipate and remain flexible in the face of change. The position will report to the SVP with a dotted line to the Senior Operations Director, VIDD.
- Provide administrative management support of executive’s daily office processes and procedures to ensure consistent and efficient workflow and communication. Develop new and revise existing procedures to ensure quality and consistency.
- Meet daily with executive to ensure priorities are being addressed consistently and adequately.
- Provide senior level administrative management support of executive’s daily calendar via Microsoft Outlook. This responsibility requires interacting with high levels of confidentiality, discretion and professionalism while interacting within multiple levels of executive C-Suite level management of educational institutions, governmental agencies, industry-related organizations, consultancies and non-profits as well as their respective administrative teams located within the United States and internationally. Use critical judgment to determine meeting priorities. Understand the implications of new information for both current and future problem-solving and decision-making.
- Manage the daily flow of written correspondence in/out of the executive’s office. This includes but is not limited to, drafting, reviewing, editing, managing revision process of a variety of correspondence and reports on behalf of the executive and can include all types of communications from letters of support/recognition for faculty, emails, reports, etc. Responsible for accuracy, formatting and appearance of final documents.
- Manage extensive schedule of both domestic and international travel for over 35 trips per year. This includes but is not limited to, researching flight availabilities, securing hotel and airline reservations, securing local transportation accommodations, developing schedules and itineraries for all travel.
- Manage expense reimbursement process for multiple expense products (charge cards, check requests, etc.) for extensive travel schedule to ensure that all expenses are appropriately charged and reimbursed to applicable cost centers, grants, etc. as well as personal reimbursements.
- Manage the faculty review process with regard to calendaring and documentation development and distribution processes.
- Arrange conference and meeting schedules, agendas, and other activities as required by the SVP and the program.
- Ensure that policies are established with the office to protect sensitive or confidential information. Establish procedures and interpret and apply administrative policies to the work unit.
Research Portfolio Coordination and Project Management
- Serve as administrative liaison on behalf of executive to clearly, concisely and professionally communicate priorities, organize meetings and proactively manage new and ongoing leadership and research portfolio activities.
- Develop, manage and mature a portfolio level review of the executive’s research and leadership responsibilities as a means to proactively anticipate and manage daily, weekly, monthly and annual deadlines and events.
- Manage, coordinate and staff, as requested, meetings related to the executive’s various leadership roles, research responsibilities, and internal laboratory and faculty activities. Responsible for developing/compiling the agenda, arranging speakers, coordinating technical support, room requirements, catering, taking detailed meeting minutes, securing review and editing of minutes as well as distribution of finalized minutes.
- Manage the executive’s accreditation and professional documents including (but not limited to) professional CV’s, NIH biosketches, medical license, other support information, manuscripts, professional memberships, etc. Manage slide repository of executive’s slide presentations. Ensure that all information is current and complete.
- Manage special projects and acts as liaison with Center staff and outside individuals and organizations, answering questions and resolving issues with regard to the executives various areas of responsibilities.
- Manage monthly Immunology and Vaccine Development (IVD) Program faculty meetings. This includes ensuring meeting room and AV is secured, develop and distribution of agendas and action items as well as email announcements to faculty and administrative staff, working with executive to develop agenda as well as reaching out to identified participating faculty and staff to coordinate their presentations to ensure all is received on time.
- In partnership with the executive, develop tracking systems for all internal documents. Track training/certification documents for senior staff. Read and analyze incoming memos, submissions, and reports in order to determine their significance and plan their distribution. Open, sort, and distribute incoming correspondence, including faxes and email. Conduct research, compile data, and prepare papers for consideration and presentation by executives, committees and boards of directors. Compile, transcribe, and distribute minutes of meetings.
- Carry out special projects for the executive, as required.
- Perform other duties, as assigned.
- Undergraduate degree and at least 5-7 years in a similar capacity, serving the needs of a senior executive within the context of a research, clinical, and/or academic environment
- Demonstrated experience related to management and ‘handling’ of highly confidential information and ensuring that information is maintained appropriately
- Demonstrated experience and philosophy relative to working in a collaborative and teamed work environment, serving the needs of the senior executive and working with key division staff
- Strong and thoughtful communications, both oral and written
- Experience working with all levels of research faculty, and staff, within the context of a research and clinical environment. Demonstrated professionalism to ensure that all people are treated with dignity and respect at all times
- Demonstrated professionalism to ensure that all people are treated with dignity and respect at all times
- Exceptional computer and word processing skills, proficiency with a variety of software packages (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint) required. Mac experience preferred.
- Experience using SharePoint and Adobe software is highly desired
- Ability to work in a team and independently with minimal supervision
A statement describing your commitment and contributions toward greater diversity, equity, inclusion, and anti-racism in your career or that will be made through work at Fred Hutch is requested of all finalists.
Our Commitment to Diversity
We are proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity (EEO) and Vietnam Era Veterans Readjustment Assistance Act (VEVRAA) Employer. We are committed to cultivating a workplace in which diverse perspectives and experiences are welcomed and respected. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, ancestry, national origin, sex, age, disability (physical or mental), marital or veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, political ideology, or membership in any other legally protected class. We are an Affirmative Action employer. We encourage individuals with diverse backgrounds to apply and desire priority referrals of protected veterans. If due to a disability you need assistance/and or a reasonable accommodation during the application or recruiting process, please send a request to our Employee Services Center at email@example.com or by calling 206-667-4700.