**First Book is temporarily working remotely due to Covid-19**
About First Book: First Book believes that education offers children the best possible path out of poverty. Since 1992, First Book has distributed more than 200 million books and educational materials to children from low-income families. Reaching 5 million children from birth to age 18 annually, First Book has built the country’s largest and fastest growing network of educators and program leaders serving kids in need. First Book reaches more than 500,000 educators nationwide with an additional 1,000 joining every week.
A recognized leader in social enterprise, First Book harnesses the power of the private sector to advance social change. First Book has been highlighted for its innovation and impact by the Schwab Foundation for Social Entrepreneurship, the World Economic Forum, The New York Times, and in case studies at Columbia Business School, Wharton Business School, the Yale School of Management, and the London School of Economics.
About This Position: The User Experience Team (UX) is responsible for growing, engaging, and driving eCommerce activity for our network of more than 500,000 educators serving kids in need nationwide. We accomplish this through multi-channel communication and marketing about First Book’s strong eCommerce value proposition, our variety of affordable products and resources, and the benefits of joining our community of members. The team collaborates constantly with colleagues in the larger Network Engagement department, as well as cross-functionally, to ensure all touch points with our membership are user friendly, intuitive, and relevant for educators serving kids from low-income families.
This role supports the Director of User Experience, primarily through content creation for emails and ad placements (both visual assets and copy writing) and program implementation that drives our mission forward. We are seeking a creative communicator with strong design and marketing skills to elevate the visual elements and performance of our thriving digital communication strategy for members and prospects.
This is a full-time contract position for 6 months, with the possibility of an extension or transition to full-time employment.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Create multiple marketing messages each week in alignment with the team’s multi-channel strategy to highlight the First Book Marketplace, as well as other First Book resources and member benefits.
o For example: creative for Facebook and Google Display ads, email graphics and copy, assets for print ads in partner publications, lead generation campaigns, event flyers, etc.
• Work closely with corporate and nonprofit partnership managers to inform program design and support execution that optimizes the member experience.
• Support strategic distribution of funding opportunities and track program budgets using Salesforce.
• Monitor campaign performance metrics, spot trends, and implement adjustments accordingly.
• Support First Book Research & Insights initiatives by assisting with focus group recruitment, survey testing, survey response review, and other tasks as needed.
• Contribute to team brainstorms and strategic planning.
• Various administrative duties and other tasks as assigned.
Education and/or Experience:
• Minimum 3 years of experience in digital marketing and/or communications required.
• Experience in managing performance-oriented campaigns required.
• Excellent graphic design skills and visual creativity required. Proficiency with Photoshop required. Experience with Canva, InDesign, or other graphic design programs a plus.
• Strong working knowledge of Microsoft Office programs required.
• Experience with Pardot, Constant Contact, or another similar email platform required.
• Experience with Facebook Ads or Google Ads preferred.
• Experience with Google Analytics a plus.
• Experience with Magento, Shopify, or another similar eCommerce platform preferred.
• Experience with Salesforce a plus.
• Excellent at time management, organization, and multi-tasking
• Strong verbal and written communication skills
• Sharp eye for detail, including proofreading
• Positive, solution-oriented approach to opportunities and challenges
• Flexible and adaptable, motivated by change
• Works effectively in a collaborative team environment
• Works well at both the strategic level (using data and creativity to come up with innovative ideas for growth) and at the tactical level (creating campaigns with merchandising tools, analyzing impact, solving problems)
• Passion for First Book’s mission and community
TO APPLY: Candidates are invited to submit a resume and a cover letter. If you need assistance applying, please reach out to Ashley Jones 202-499-5935 / firstname.lastname@example.org.