We are seeking candidates to support the operation of our Summer Lunch Camp locations. Assistant Site Leaders will plan fun, prosocial activities and supervise and build relationships with the children we serve. This program invites the community (adults and teens and partners) to join us as volunteers. Our staff will welcome, orient and support the volunteers as they discover and share their interests and talents with the children.
Reports to: Summer Lunch Camp Site Leader
- 20-25 daytime hours per week. Anticipated dates June 2- July 30, 2020.
- 1-2 evenings over the course of the summer required for special events. We are not able to give days off.
- Plan, implement and lead FUN daily programming (educational, recreational, arts/crafts etc.) appropriate for assigned age group, typically K-5th grade.
- Oversee and promote positive interactions onsite among children, staff, and volunteers; manage issues and conflicts as they arise; meet the needs of individual children.
- Ensure that Summer Lunch Camp health & safety regulations and COVID-19 protocols are enforced at all times.
- Welcome, orient and help supervise Teen Interns and site volunteers.
- Communicate with families in person and by phone regarding upcoming activities, sharing information about their child and any other camp details.
- Assist with the camp registration process.
- Understand and support Serving Our Neighbors Ministries mission and values in all aspects of the position.
- Perform tasks as needed to support Serving Our Neighbors Ministries vision/mission as it relates to camp operations.
- Administer the ODE Summer Food Service Program (SFSP) while following all required rules and regulations. Administering includes ordering, receiving, and distributing food, record keeping, maintaining health standards, and ensuring site cleanliness. Attention to detail required.
- Communicate promptly with supervisor regarding any issues, concerns, or questions at end of camp daily (often by email, phone and text, but also in person).
- Provide own transportation between lunch sites as needed each day.
- At least one year of college; preferably in education, social work, recreation management, or international studies; or similar background and experience.
- Previous experience working with groups of children in any setting (camp, church, sports, job).
- Demonstrated ability to interact, build relationships, and provide guidance to children.
- Knowledge of child development with ability to support the development of lesson plans and
- manage groups of children.
- Willingness and commitment to foster an entrepreneurial spirit in the children we serve; supporting children in taking their ideas/dreams to inspired yet realistic implementation (requires flexibility, problem solving and attention to detail).
- Good communication and people skills with an ability to lead and delegate to adults and teens. An appreciation and affinity for working with community volunteers.
- A heart to serve children and adults who are multi-cultural and socio-economically diverse.
- Position requires ability to stand, run, and move with agility. Position ensures safety of children and will lead recreational games and transition groups of children both inside and out of doors.
- Ability to lift 30 pounds.
- First Aid/CPR certification a plus or willingness to attend such classes.
Position requires satisfactory completion of a criminal background check.
COVID-19: Our Summer Lunch Camp will have health and safety protocols in place to minimize the spread of COVID-19. We will incorporate smaller group sizes, required face coverings, social distancing, daily temperature checks, and daily disinfecting of sites and surfaces. Our goal is to be outside as much as possible during Summer Lunch Camp (including to eat lunch). Current COVID conditions MAY dictate that we run camp 100% outside this summer (with access to indoor restrooms). All camp sites will have access to shade and covered areas. If COVID conditions allow, we will utilize both indoor and outdoor eating and recreation spaces at our sites.