Education Finance Analyst Program (“EFA Program”) Overview
The Education Finance Analyst Program (“EFA Program”) is a collaborative effort between Equitable Facilities Fund (“EFF”) and Civic Builders (“Civic”) to recruit and train early-stage professionals to succeed in mission-driven financial services roles. Through this two-year program, participants will address one of the biggest challenges that public charter schools face in their efforts to promote educational equity: securing affordable long-term facilities. They will serve in full-time roles as Investment Analysts in support of critical work undertaken by sector leaders Civic Builders and EFF. This job will be supported by a joint training program designed to foster mission-alignment, understanding of the education sector, development of technical skills, and other ongoing enrichment. The EFA program is committed to diversity and inclusion and encourages diverse candidates to apply.
The EFA program is a 24-month full-time salaried position that provides participants an exceptional opportunity to work in mission-driven financial services organizations.
Analysts will participate in a range of learning experiences including a 6 – 8 week training program focused on basic financial and underwriting skills as well as knowledge building in areas of education reform and charter school facilities.
Participants will have opportunities to engage in peer-to-peer collaboration with other Analysts including cross-organizational training, program events, and communities of practice.
Participants will be invited to attend guest speaker events and site visits to schools and other impact-oriented organizations.
Investment Analyst Position Overview
Who You Are
- You believe all children deserve a quality education. You want to promote opportunity for children across the US and believe education and financial access are critical to the success of flourishing communities.
- You are intrigued by numbers and financials. You will support Civic’s and EFF’s efforts to underwrite and structure charter school facilities solutions (loans and leases) for high-quality operators. Analyzing financial statements to assess charter school prospects’ creditworthiness will be essential to your team’s overall decision-making process.
- Analyzing data is part of your work. You enjoy collecting, analyzing, and aggregating financial, academic, and impact data which will support underwriting decisions and portfolio monitoring.
- You are an effective communicator. You’re capable of developing various types of communications and materials for varied audiences and purposes. You know when materials need to demonstrate informative analysis and when inspirational, mission-aligned content is the best approach. You get excited about creating content that communicates effectively to board members, funders, and investors.
- Special projects are your thing. You enjoy being part of the team and supporting your team members in undertaking research, strategic projects, and special initiatives on an ad-hoc basis.
- A Bachelor’s Degree is required; business or finance-oriented majors are welcomed
- 0 – 2+ years of professional relevant experience including internships or full-time work
- Passion for the program’s mission to support high-quality education options and financial access for under-resourced communities
- Demonstrate interest in financial statement analysis, quantitative problem-solving, and credit concepts (can be demonstrated through work, internship, or academic experience)
- Proficiency in Microsoft suite of products including Excel, Word, PowerPoint or Google equivalents
- Exemplary writing and communication skills
- Outstanding organizational and time management skills
- Ability to produce high-quality work products under tight deadlines
- Strong entrepreneurial instincts and desire to seek innovative solutions to complex challenges
- A high degree of integrity, authenticity, and a good sense of humor
- Willingness to travel ~15% of the time
This is a remote opportunity. Since Civic and EFF team members are largely based on the east coast, candidates from the Eastern time zone are encouraged to apply.
The program is jointly sponsored by Civic Builders and EFF, organizations that work to ensure real estate is not a barrier to a great education. See additional information below:
Civic Builders is the nation’s leading nonprofit lender and developer, bringing high-quality educational opportunities to under-resourced communities through the development of public charter schools. Since 2002, the organization has supported the growth of 60 schools educating more than 30,000 students annually.
Civic Builders partners with philanthropists and capital providers to design and manage affordable, new financing and development solutions for high-quality schools. Civic Builders achieves our mission of removing real estate as a barrier to an excellent public education by addressing the full spectrum of facilities and financing challenges public charter schools face. As a nonprofit organization with two decades of experience, Civic Builders’ portfolio represents $1.1 billion invested into economically distressed communities to ensure all students have access to safe, positive, and student-centered learning environments.
Equitable Facilities Fund (EFF) is a nonprofit social impact fund that’s on a nationwide mission to transform capital access for schools and communities. Since launching in 2018, EFF has committed over $450 million of affordable long-term facility financing to schools that excel in serving low-income and diverse communities.
EFF empowers high-performing public charter schools with equitable access to low-cost, long-term financing by innovatively combining mission-related investments and capital markets. Loans from EFF support affordable, permanent school facilities and allow school leaders to redirect critical resources to teaching and learning. By 2026, the organization seeks to make over $2B in loans to support over 200,000 students and significantly improve the quality of education offered to students across the US.
Compensation and benefits
Compensation is competitive, commensurate with experience. We are proud to offer extraordinary benefits, including unlimited PTO, as well as medical coverage and a 401(k) match.