Cuyahoga Valley Scenic Railroad (CVSR) is looking for a Special Events Intern to support the Events team with planning and execution of upcoming events. Events include the Dinner and Events Train, Steam in the Valley, Holiday Train, fundraisers and private charters that align with CVSR’s mission to provide educational, recreational and heritage railroad experiences. This internship will offer experience with Event Planning and Management, Purchasing, Inventory Control, Profit/Loss projections, and Volunteer Relations.
The intern will report to the Director of Events and collaborate with all departments within the organization.
DEADLINE TO APPLY: July 9, 2021
This internship is approximately 20 hours per week. Our office hours are Monday through Friday between 8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m. Please note, additional hours will be required during evenings and weekends for special events. This internship is set to begin in September 2021 and continue through December.
This is a paid internship and can qualify for academic credit.
- Assist with the preparation of event logistics
- Lead and train volunteers at the trainyard and onboard the train
- Provide day of support at special events
- Interact with CVSR guests, volunteers, staff, and partner organizations
- Create proposals for new single-car programs for trains
- Perform other duties as assigned
**All events are subject to change due to COVID-19 restrictions**
- Must be a current student enrolled at or recently graduated from an accredited university and seeking a career in Hospitality and Tourism Management, Event Planning, Business Administration or similar field
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Willingness to interact with passengers and volunteers in large and diverse groups
- Attention to detail and excellent organizational skills
- Must have flexibility to work nights and weekends in addition to daytime office hours
- Ability to stand, sit and/or walk on moving trains for prolonged periods of time
- Must have own transportation and willing to work both outdoors and in office settings
- Ability to lift and/or move up to 30 pounds
- Preferred: candidate with event planning or nonprofit related experience
To apply, please submit a resume and cover letter to Kelly Koehler, Director of Events at email@example.com with Special Events Intern in the subject line. Submissions that do not include all these application materials will not be considered.