Columbia Business School is seeking to hire one or more Staff Associates of research for the DRO (Decision, Risk, and Operations) Division. The work will include quantitative and qualitative research and analysis involving the collection, coordination, and management of information and data, development and implementation of computer models and simulations, development of research materials (figures, presentations, papers, etc.) and work on special projects relating to pertinent fields of research within the division. This is a two-year position with a possible extension to a third-year.
This position provides an opportunity to gain experience in academic business research, with a special focus on fields such as operations research, operations management, statistics, and economics; and it would be ideal preparation for a PhD program or other graduate study.
The Staff Associate duties involve work in one or more of the following areas of research: economics, and statistics. Specific duties include:
• Collect, clean, and maintain datasets and databases. Extract and link data from multiple databases for analysis. Prepare detailed documentation.
• Develop models and implement program code (STATA, Python, SQL, R, SAS, Matlab, etc.).
• Perform statistical analysis, including regression analysis and machine learning techniques.
• Assist with data analysis and dissemination of findings through the preparation of reports, journal articles, presentations, websites, and other research outlets.
• Perform case-based research, including work with detailed primary documents.
Minimum Degree Required:
Bachelor’s degree in Economics or Finance or in a quantitative discipline such as Mathematics, Statistics, Engineering, Computer Science, Data Science, etc.
• At least 6 months of experience in a research role as a research assistant.
• Programming experience in one or more of the following languages: Python or R is required.
• Programming experience in Matlab, SQL, and/or C++ is preferred.
• Expertise in processing large volumes of data, and algorithm design expertise.
• Experience in market design applications preferred.
• Familiarity with statistical tools such as linear regression is required.
• Familiarity with text parsing and analysis (natural language processing) and/or machine learning techniques is preferred.
• Demonstrated exceptional written and oral communications skills needed – writing sample is required
• Candidate must be able to work on multiple projects simultaneously
Please upload your transcript to “Other Document 1” when uploading your application documents.
The application must include your CV, transcripts, wcriting sample, and three reference letters.