Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory (CSHL), a world-renowned scientific research organization on Long Island’s North Shore, is seeking responsible individuals to handle and care for small research animals under the direction of animal facility staff.
Technicians will also provide general laboratory and animal nursing services to investigators and research technicians in laboratory animal techniques, and in accordance with detailed instructions and schedules. This includes animal husbandry, cage changing and providing a sanitary research environment.
– Provide animals with fresh and adequate food and water daily according to SOP’s and/or research protocol;
– Perform scheduled health observations and assessments; Examine animals daily for signs of illness or reactions and reports such observations to the Supervisor or Director;
– Immediately communicate with Supervisor and/or Director regarding any animal anomalies observed;
– Change and clean animal cages, as scheduled;
– Complete and maintain all applicable logs and check sheets, as required;
– Understand and follow appropriate procedures according to animal species as presented in Facility SOPS;
– Monitor facility conditions (including temperature and humidity data) and maintain all applicable logs and check sheets for same;
– Operate & maintain cage washers and other equipment, as instructed;
– Clean and sanitize animal facility following established protocols and schedules;
– Stock supplies, as needed;
– Maintain work and general facility/lab areas in a neat and organized manner;
– Perform all tasks in a way to minimize or prevent transfer of infection;
– Perform other duties as assigned.
This position provides valuable entry level to working in Laboratory Animal Science, with many various options for growth.
Candidates from non-traditional and/or underrepresented backgrounds, broadly defined, are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position RequirementsEducation: An Associate’s degree in a related discipline is required.
Experience: At least six months of relevant work experience is preferred.
Skills: Strong attention to detail and quality control are required. Time management skills and effective oral and written communication skills are also required. Must be able to operate cage washers, autoclaves, and other disinfecting/sterilizing equipment. Must be able to work with or around laboratory animals.
Physical: Must be physically capable of lifting 50 pounds.
Other: Occasional weekend/holiday work and a valid driver’s license are required.
Please apply for this position via the CSHL careers website at:
Position Number: 01570-A
We offer a competitive salary and a comprehensive benefits package.
For more information about CSHL, please visit us at www.cshl.edu
CSHL is an EO/AA Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability or protected veteran status.
VEVRAA Federal Contractor