Clean Water Action is dedicated to building a movement of strong environmental leaders. For that purpose we are hiring activists that wish to grow within the organization and the movement. Our Grassroots Management Trainee positions are open to those who want to develop into Field Managers and Canvass Directors. This is an ideal full time, entry level role for people considering a nonprofit career track. Over the course of a year, you will learn the basics of running a successful grassroots campaign, including, but not limited to, staff management, fundraising and donor recruitment, sustainability initiatives, public policy, and balancing a budget.
Field Managers play a critical role ensuring success of the organization’s grassroots campaigns.
– Train, develop, and manage a crew of canvass staff to do high quality community organizing.
– Report to and work with the Canvass Director to recommend who is hired, fired, promoted.
– Analyze crew and individual performance, make recommendations for improvement.
– Carry out administrative, logistic, and financial management responsibilities as necessary to run efficient and safe crews.
– Meet/exceed all canvassing and organizing standards. Understand, educate, and hold staff accountable to organizational policies and procedures.
Canvass Directors are the leaders of our organizing team. They are responsible for the local success of our grassroots offices across the country.
– Run the day to day operations of the grassroots organizing effort.
– Create development plans for all staff, meeting with individuals regularly, identifying and cultivating leaders.
– Recruit staff from the local community. Make hiring and firing decisions.
– Plan our local election work to get pro-environment candidates elected.
– Coordinate with organizational program staff and canvass teams to ensure accurate campaign messaging.
– Support Program staff as needed with research, event planning, and organizational communication.
– Ensure quality training focusing on nonprofit management, sustainability initiatives, and public policy.
– Track individual and office performance to identify areas of improvement.
– Provide support and training in the field by canvassing 1-3 days per week.
– Manage annual office budget, monitor monthly expenses.
– Complete payroll and other human resource tasks.
– Must have strong communication and motivational skills
– Must be a self starter who can work autonomously
– Desire for political change is essential
– Candidates must be able to work within and lead a team.
– Experience handling many responsibilities preferred
-Sick, Vacation, Holiday pay.
-401K and Health and Dental Insurance.
-Rewarding work with a casual work setting.
-Participate in cultural competency training and be a part of a shared commitment to justice, equity, diversity and inclusion.
-Opportunities for travel throughout the U.S., including national and regional conferences
You must also complete the application on Clean Water Action’s website (a link pops up after you submit your Handshake application) so that your information will be automatically forwarded to the appropriate person. The local office will follow up with additional campaign information, job basics, and will begin the formal application process. Your application will not be reviewed unless you take the final step to fill in your basic information on Clean Water Action’s website.
We are committed to reflecting the communities we work in and POC, LGBTIQ folks, and women are strongly encouraged to apply.
* We do not provide any housing assistance. Please only apply if you have specific plans to be located near a Clean Water Action office.
* As an equal opportunity employer, Clean Water Action is dedicated to non-discrimination in every aspect of employment. No person is to be discriminated against in employment because of race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, national origin, disability, marital status, or any other ground prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local law. This equal opportunity policy applies to veteran status or any other legally protected characteristic. This policy covers all aspects of employment, including hiring, promotions, terminations, pay, and the work environment.