The Watertown Fire Department is currently accepting applications for the position of Firefighter/Paramedic with the City of Watertown. The Watertown Fire Department is looking for energetic personnel that are dedicated to providing public service in areas of fire protection, emergency medical services, fire prevention, and public education. Salary range for this position is $53,440 – $73,374 per year.
The Watertown Fire Department is a full time fire department with a service area of 101 square miles covering approximately 30,000 citizens. The fire department operates out of one station which is staffed with a maximum of 8 personnel working 24 hour shifts. The Watertown Fire Department responds to both city and rural emergency calls, uses a two-paramedic service, and averages 2600 calls per year.
Apply online at:
Candidates must submit a complete packet, including the City of Watertown Employment Application, cover letter, resume, copies of all pertinent certifications and licensures, and a valid CPAT. Please note that applicants who list an e-mail address will be contacted via email. Please check your e-mail on a regular basis.
This position requires a Fire Team Test and a valid CPAT.
Salary Information: $53,440 – $73,374 per year (Lateral Transfers Accepted)
Firefighter Union Contract – Represented by IAFF Local 877
Description of Duties:
Responds to fire alarms, medical emergencies, and other calls to protect life and property. Participates in fire prevention, training, and station, equipment and apparatus maintenance and variety of other assigned duties associated with fire and rescue. Work involves risk and hazardous exposure. Work is performed under general supervision of Fire Lieutenant.
Works under direct general supervision and in accordance with department policies, practices, procedures, rules and regulations. Regularly interacts with public contacts during emergency calls and through public relation events.
1. Responds to fire or other emergencies; accesses situation, takes mitigating actions, and rescues persons from danger as required.
2. Fights fire or takes actions to mitigate other situations such as natural disasters, hazardous materials releases, or other dangerous situations.
3. Identifies persons requiring immediate care, provide advanced, prehospital medical services and transports victims for further medical care.
4. Participates in training, education, and drills which include firefighting and medical skills and techniques, and proper use of equipment and related tools.
5. Assists fire inspectors with fire prevention inspections, performs building pre-planning for fires and other emergencies, assists the public by providing safety related services, tours, public presentations or events to promote safety consciousness
6. Makes inspections of apparatus and equipment; assures that all equipment and apparatus is always in a state of readiness and notifies supervisor of defects; performs cleaning and maintenance tasks in and about the station.
7. Performs routine tasks such as report writing, record keeping, data entry, supplies maintenance, phoning and copying
8. Represents the Department with dedication, respect, courage, innovation, professionalism, and accountability in all relationships with citizens, community and professional organizations, other fire agencies, city departments, county, state and federal agencies and other service organizations.
9. Performs other related duties as assigned.
Benefits Information: Watertown Firefighters are provided a generous compensation package including, vacation time, sick time, paid holidays, uniform allowance, longevity, educational reimbursement, health insurance, and Wisconsin Retirement System.
Minimum Requirements – SUBMIT AT TIME OF APPLICATION:
- Be a U.S. Citizen
- Be 18 years or older at time of application
- Possess a valid State of Wisconsin Driver’s License
- Possess High School Diploma, or have equivalency
- Possess State of Wisconsin Firefighter I certification
- State of Wisconsin Paramedic license
- Candidate Physical Agility Testing (CPAT) Certificate, within past twelve months- AT TIME OF HIRE
- Wisconsin Firefighter II certification – WITHIN 1 YEAR
Timeline: Candidates who submit a complete packet including the City of Watertown application, cover letter, resume, copies of all pertinent certifications and licensures, and meet the minimum qualifications for this position may be invited to participate in a Computerized Test (to be completed by July 2, 2021).
- Application Deadline: Friday, June 25, 2021 at 4:00 pm
- Written Test (Online): Completed by July 2, 2021 at 4:00 pm
- Oral Interview: Thursday, July 8, 2021 starting at 1:00 pm
Following the test, results will be reviewed and candidates will be contacted by e-mail, if selected for a panel interview.
Necessary Certifications :
Valid CPAT at time of hire; Fire Team Written Exam with a minimum score of 70% in all sections; Firefighter I Firefighter II (within one year of hire); NIMS 100, 200, and 700; Nationally Registered and/or State of Wisconsin licensed Paramedic at time of hire.
Additional Requirements :
City of Watertown Application, cover letter and resume are required as part of the application process.
For candidates advancing in the recruitment process, the following steps may be involved up to the point of a conditional offer of employment: additional interview, background check, reference check, psychological evaluation, medical examination, and drug/alcohol screening. If you are selected as a finalist, an extensive investigation of your background and reference checks will be conducted. Any false or misleading information provided by you will be cause for rejection or termination.
Work Schedule and Residency Requirements :
The department works a California schedule averaging a 56-hour work week. The 24-hour shift schedule is as follows: 24 On, 24 Off; 24 On, 24 Off; 24 On, 96 Off. Watertown firefighters work 10 days per month with four consecutive days off occurring 3-4 times per month. The schedule then repeats. There is ample opportunity for overtime as a Firefighter/Paramedic with the WFD.
Watertown Fire Department requires employees to live within 45 miles of the jurisdictional boundaries of the local governmental unit and must establish residence within the specified area within 60 days after completion of the probationary period.
Equal Opportunity Employer : The City of Watertown is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Please direct all questions pertaining to the application process to Andrea Peters at firstname.lastname@example.org or 920-261-3610.