LAND USE PLANNER – DEVELOPMENT REVIEW
Position Title: Associate / Senior Planner (based on education and experience)
Reports to: Assistant Planning Director
Salary Range: Associate: $43,305-$56,631 / Senior: $56,631-$67,957
FLSA: Full-Time; Salary; Exempt; Safety Sensitive
Application Deadline: June 21, 2021 – Interviews to begin immediately
Apply Online at http://JOBS.COLUMBUS.IN.GOV
If you need assistance, accommodations or don’t have access to the internet elsewhere, call or email City Human Resources 812-376-2570 or email@example.com to make an appointment to apply in person. We welcome all applicants.
Special Applicant Requirements: upon completion of the online application, you must upload a cover letter, resume, and three professional references.
The Land Use Planner is primarily responsible for the processing, review, and documentation of development review applications filed with the Planning Department by the public, land surveyors, developers, etc. This includes (1) site plans, sign applications, and other similar administrative approvals; (2) variances, conditional uses, and other similar requests to be considered by the Board of Zoning Appeals; and (3) rezonings, annexations, site development plans, and other similar requests to be considered by the Plan Commission. The position may also provide problem solving, creative thinking, research skills, and/or management for a variety of land use planning studies and special projects. This may include participating on special project teams, researching and documenting planning-related topics, and serving as a Planning Department liaison to one or more community groups.
An Associate Planner in this role would be expected to complete the typical duties with a moderate amount of supervision and to contribute to Planning Department special projects primarily in supporting roles.
A Senior Planner in this role would be expected to complete tasks with a comparatively greater level of independence, manage especially complex or multi-step approval processes, and have greater participation in and/or management of special projects initiated by the Planning Department.
· Processing, review, and documentation of site plan and sign-related applications and proposals.
· Processing, review, and documentation of rezoning, subdivision, annexation, conditional use, variance, and other similar applications.
· Analysis of development proposals in comparison with the applicable Zoning Ordinance, Subdivision Control Ordinance, and other appropriate standards.
· Preparation and presentation of staff reports and recommendations regarding applications being considered by a Board of Zoning Appeals, Plan Commission, or other similar body.
· Discussion and communication of development requirements and application details with the public, developers, land surveyors, and others.
· Coordination and preparation of all necessary public notices for assigned development review applications.
· Participation in regular project scheduling meetings and coordination of assignments with other related Department projects and development review applications.
· Conducting of site visits and other investigations as necessary to document conditions affecting development review applications.
· Maintenance of all case files regarding assigned development review applications.
· Coordination and communication of information, regulations, and issues related to signs, landscaping, site plan review, variances, and other development-related procedures and requirements.
· Research, preparation, and presentation of studies and reports on a variety of land use planning topics and issues as assigned.
· Participation on special project teams and completion of studies and special projects as assigned.
· Representation of the City, County, and/or Planning Department as a liaison to one or more community groups.
· Identification of, and participation in periodic training and educational events designed to advance local understanding of planning issues.
· Driving at times in a City vehicle to various locations on behalf of the Planning Department and to work-related events.
· Other duties, as assigned. This description is intended to provide a general overview of typical duties, as well as the complexity of the work to be performed by this staff member. It is not intended to be an exhaustive list of duties, responsibilities or specific tasks and other duties are typically assigned dependent upon the needs of the office.
· The Land Use Planner shall possess a bachelor’s degree in urban planning, geography, landscape architecture, public policy, or a related field of study.
· Working knowledge of word-processing, graphic design, mapping, and publishing computer software is recommended.
· The Land Use Planner shall also demonstrate a working knowledge of planning concepts and issues, and display a general knowledge of local government operations.
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills are also required.
· Qualifications for serving in this role as a Senior Planner would also include a minimum of 1 year of comparable work experience.
· AICP certification is also recommended for a Senior Planner in this position.
· Due to the required use of a City vehicle, this employee must also have a valid Indiana Driver’s License or the ability to obtain one upon being hired, and must have a driving record acceptable to the City’s insurance carrier.
· The Driver’s License and insurability must be maintained at all times during employment by the City of Columbus.
· The use of a City vehicle makes this a safety-sensitive position and subject to pre-employment drug/alcohol screen as well as a drug/alcohol screen for random testing, post-accident testing, reasonable suspicion testing, return-to-duty testing, and follow-up testing.
· Must reside in Bartholomew County or adjoining county within six (6) months of employment.
This description is intended to describe the type of and level of work being performed by the person assigned to this job. It is not an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities required by a person and employees at the city may be given other assignments at will.
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
*all potential applicants are encouraged to apply, and if you need accommodation or help applying online, please call 812.376.2570 to make an appointment or email firstname.lastname@example.org