Do you want to give back to your local community AND earn money for college or student loans? Join the nationwide network of AmeriCorps VISTA members at Child & Family Services in Traverse City!
Child & Family Services of Northwestern Michigan (CFS) is an 80+ year old nonprofit organization dedicated to supporting children and youth as they heal and grow. CFS is recruiting full-time (40 hours per week) AmeriCorps VISTA members for a one-year term of service. Individuals serving with VISTA – Volunteers in Service to America – receive a modest living stipend over their 365-day term, paid time-off, and earn a scholarship upon successful completion that can be used towards eligible student loans or current post-secondary education expenses (see benefits below).
VISTAs support the “behind the scenes” work being done at CFS by helping the organization with capacity building activities – marketing, fundraising, data collection, creating or updating systems and tools, communications, building or strengthening partnerships, expanding current CFS programs, and more! Due to current COVID-19 restrictions, VISTAs will tele-serve until CFS offices safely re-open, at which time in-person service will resume. CFS will ensure candidates have the tools and training necessary to serve virtually from home.
Qualifications: Must commit to serve a one-year, 365-day term of service averaging 40 hours per week. Must pass all required background and reference checks and complete any other AmeriCorps or CFS eligibility requirements. High School diploma or equivalent required. Some college preferred. Must be at least 18 years old and be a US citizen or legal permanent resident. VISTAs may be current students or have outside employment, understanding that neither school nor work will conflict with the member’s service hours.
Must be dependable, work well independently and with a team, have a positive attitude, and be willing to learn new skills. Must possess excellent written and oral communication skills, have reliable transportation, and be proficient with computers including Microsoft Office products.
• Living Stipend: VISTAs receive a bi-weekly living stipend of about $480, for a total stipend of $12,490 paid over one-year.
• Personal and Sick Leave: VISTAs earn up to 10 days of personal leave and up to 10 days of sick leave during their yearlong term.
• Education Award: Upon successful completion of the entire term, members earn a Segal AmeriCorps Education Award of about $6,000 that can be used towards eligible postsecondary education expenses, or a cash stipend of about $1,800. Visit americorps.gov/members-volunteers/segal-americorps-education-award for more information about the AmeriCorps education award.
• Student Loan Relief: VISTAs may be eligible for student loan relief programs during their term of service based on their individual circumstances. This may include deferment, forbearance, loan forgiveness, and/or interest payments.
• Professional Development & Training: We want you to be successful and have a mutuallybeneficial experience while at CFS. To achieve this, VISTA members receive a wide-variety of professional development and training opportunities based on the position, skills, interests, and available opportunities.
• Non-Competitive Eligibility: AmeriCorps VISTA members earn federal non-competitive eligibility, giving members an edge in the federal hiring process.
• Other Benefits: VISTAs receive basic health insurance coverage. Childcare assistance and other benefits may be available to eligible candidates. Visit https://americorps.gov/members-volunteers/your-benefits to learn more about VISTA service and benefits.
Learn more and apply: Interested in serving your community at CFS? Visit www.surveymonkey.com/r/CFSVISTA to apply today! Contact Amanda Scott with questions or for more information – (231) 313-8002 or ascott@cfs3L.org.