The Clinical Learning Lab Specialist supports the learning experiences for the clinical learning lab and simulated patient care for the School; assist program/course coordinators, faculty, and students with appropriate resources to successfully complete evidence-based learning opportunities in a simulated patient care environment. The Specialist maintains the nursing lab environment, and simulation equipment. In collaboration with the Simulation Lab Technician, this position provides direct student interaction and supervision in the lab. The Specialist supports faculty leadership with initiatives involving clinical simulation research and effective teaching strategies in a simulated patient care environment. This position receives supervision from the Assistant Dean of Faculty Affairs and works in partnership with the Simulation Lab Coordinator, Simulation Lab Technician, Clinical Coordinators, Program Coordinators, and course faculty.
• Facilitates lab resources, including human patient simulation equipment and supplies, for internal and external stakeholders.
• Supports nursing students as well as other healthcare students and professionals to achieve clinical learning in a simulated patient care environment.
• Prepares and maintains labs and simulated patient care environments with equipment, supplies, media, computers, and materials needed to replicate virtual healthcare setting.
• Collaborates with deans, program directors, clinical coordinators, and course faculty to ensure preparation of lab supplies and equipment are available based on faculty requests and course schedule.
• Assists in developing and implementing detailed clinically-based scenarios for the computerized simulators.
• Operates and collaborates with the Simulation Lab Technician to maintain computerized simulation equipment.
• Participates in planning and scheduling for students and faculty by ensuring open lab and structured lab utilization times are available and communicated.
• Collaborates with the Simulation Lab Coordinator in the management of the comprehensive audiovisual and simulation center management system: LearningSpace.
• Coordinates and supervises students to ensure that lab experiences meet course objectives; provides individual oversight to students for practice and/or remediation on technical skills as requested by faculty and students.
• Collaborates with Simulation Lab Technician and Simulation Lab Coordinator in ordering and maintaining inventory of all lab supplies, equipment, furniture, models, AV equipment, and laboratory manuals; recommends the purchase of lab equipment and supplies; and maintains a clean, fully equipped nursing skills and simulations lab.
• Facilitates simulation equipment care and maintenance, including troubleshooting and repair as required in collaboration with the Simulation Lab Technician.
• Provides demonstrations, tours, and tutorials on the simulation center equipment (simulators, trainers, etc.) to students, staff, and outside observers.
• Contributes to and attends simulation forums and conferences as appropriate to prepare and assess lab and simulation operational effectiveness.
• Completes work in a timely manner, including preparing, documenting, and tracking student and faculty lab utilization.
• Provides orientation of staff, faculty, and students to skills/simulation lab.
• Regionally accredited bachelor’s degree in nursing required.
• Master’s degree preferred; coursework in nursing, education, or administration preferred.
• 3-5 years of clinical practice experience.
• At least one year of experience in nursing skills and/or simulation.
• Meet competency requirement (at least 1 year RN clinical experience in medical-surgical within last five years); or teaching in an RN pre-post-licensure program for a minimum of one academic year in the last five years.
• Record of successful teaching experience in a postsecondary nursing program is preferred, certification in the specialty and/or as an advanced practice nurse is a plus.
• Licensed as a Registered Nurse in the state of California.
• Demonstrates a high level of interpersonal skills to maintain effective working relationships with all simulation center staff and guests.
• Knowledge of the principles and practices of nursing, including nursing guidelines set for the board of Registered Nursing.
• Knowledge of simulation, teaching, and clinical practice in the nursing field.
• Knowledge of health-related education in a global economy.
• Demonstrated commitment to service in underserved communities.
• Demonstrated leadership in teaching, research, and public service.
• Demonstrate a willingness to perform and a commitment to extra-curricular responsibilities on behalf of the department, school, and University.
• Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
• Knowledge of operational characteristics of simulation laboratory apparatus, equipment, and materials.
• Knowledge of Advanced theories and applications of simulation technology.
• Knowledge of Advanced principles and practices of laboratory operations.
• Knowledge of Operational characteristics of audio-visual equipment and tools.
• Knowledge of Parts, tools, equipment, and methods used in the diagnosis, installation, and maintenance of computer hardware and software.
Preferred Qualifications: N/A
• Ability to work effectively with a diverse community.
Category: Full Time
Number of Vacancies: 1
EEO Statement: Charles R. Drew University is committed to Equal Employment Opportunity. Applicants will be considered without regard to gender, race, age, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, genetic information, marital status, disability, or covered veteran status.
Fair Chance Statement: Charles R. Drew University of Medicine and Science will consider qualified applicants, including those with criminal histories, in a manner consistent with state and local “Fair Chance” laws.
Open Date: 04/23/2021