Under the leadership of the Head of the Montessori and Primary School and in partnership with the Director of Performing Arts, the Montessori School Music Teacher is charged with teaching music to children in Carrollton’s Montessori Program (ages 3-6) as well as working in collaboration with the lead Montessori teachers and supporting all the Montessori programs and students. An emphasis will be on providing comprehensive music skills to students from ages 3 to 6. The Music Teacher will collaborate with the other Primary and Intermediate music teachers, working together with them to assist students in making the transition from early childhood experiences with music to more specialized experience with instrumental and choral music beginning in 4th grade.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The duties and responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Support the Goals and Criteria of the Network of Sacred Heart schools
- Serve as an integral part of the Montessori teaching team which will include assisting in the teaching and pedagogy of all Montessori classes
- Maintain professional currency with Music Together curriculum and Orff methodology
- Utilize cognitive science and educational research to inform teaching practices
- Participate in reflective, self-directed, on-going professional development
- Create and define goals and objectives for unit and daily lessons plans, prepare classroom activities, organize teaching materials, evaluate student performance, maintain classroom records, and manage time effectively
- Submit reports and student comments at specified intervals
- Hold conferences with students, parents, administrators, and other professionals
- Participate in faculty meetings, liturgies, chapels, concerts, retreats, school assemblies, and special events such as, but not limited to, back to school night, admissions showcases, and field trips
- Additional duties may be required, such as participating in curriculum reviews, collaborating on music discipline initiatives, etc
- A Bachelor’s degree in Music Education
- A practicing Roman Catholic is preferred
- The ideal candidate will have at least 3-5 years of experience in teaching music in early childhood and elementary school.
- Experience leading students in singing; ability to play a guitar or ukulele is preferred
- Montessori teaching experience or training preferred.
- Training in Orff Levels I, II, and III preferred.
- Intercultural competency with a deep respect for diversity
- Commitment to on-going professional growth
- Enthusiasm for teaching students of all abilities
- Demonstrated success with effective use of technology
Interested candidates should complete an employment application, and submit a cover letter and resume through Carrollton’s Employment Opportunities website.