Purpose: Provide general clerical support services for Humanities and Fine Arts/Social and Business Sciences Departments and all other academic departments.
Classification: Clerical/Support Staff, Nonexempt/Bargaining Unit
Reports To: Associate Dean of Humanities & Fine Arts/Associate Dean of Social & Business Sciences
Principal Working Relationships: Associate Dean of Humanities & Fine Arts, Associate Dean of Social & Business Sciences, Coordinators, Students, Faculty, and staff
- Basic receptionist for all internal and external customers and clerical duties, including answering telephone calls, screening visitors and special tasks assigned by the Associate Deans of HFA & SBS. Receive and transfer incoming calls and relay messages.
- Proctor tests in emergency situations for faculty
- Administer and proctor student and faculty evaluations as needed.
- Maintain HFA & SBS department files, including student evaluation forms, schedules and assignments, faculty grades, and correspondence to various outside agencies.
- Assist with the preparation of pay sheets for HFA & SBS faculty.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the departments’ operations and respond to inquires in a positive professional manner.
- Coordinate purchases and keep an inventory of supplies; and assist with the preparation of the budget, expense sheets, requests for payment and purchase requisitions. Assist in receiving, storing and distributing supplies.
- Participate in the establishment of strategic initiatives and the assessment of the department’s key performance indicators.
- Handle all incoming/outgoing mail, including bulk mailings.
- Arrange for duplication needs for the department.
- Attend meetings when assigned and take minutes as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Preparation for Support Staff, Department, and outside agencies meetings, including advisory committee meetings.
- Planning and coordination of HFA & SBS special events. Examples include, but are not limited to the Sandburg Poetry Contest and Phi Theta Kappa induction.
- Compiling information for HFA & SBS annual reports, program review, and reports for other accrediting bodies.
- Preparation of letters, postcards, newsletters, etc.
- Preparation, implementation, and distribution of department assessments.
Risk Management and Loss Prevention Activities
- Actively participate in and carry out activities in support of the college’s Risk Management Program in a capacity appropriate to this position.
- Monitor conditions, events, and circumstances present in the college operation to avoid potential torts or injuries to students, staff, or the general public, then communicate observations to the appropriate supervisor and/or Risk Management Committee.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the college’s emergency procedures and how to operate emergency phone systems, including internal/external call boxes.
Minimum Necessary Skills, Experience, and Educational Background
- High School diploma or GED required; some college preferred. Minimum of two years relevant experience preferred.
- Working knowledge of computer systems and software, including spreadsheets and word processing; as well as knowledge of and competency with all office equipment.
- The ability to communicate successfully with clients of all ages, socio-economic status, sex, or race.
- Good written and oral communication skills required including phone etiquette skills.
- Good spelling, grammar and proofreading skills.
Physical Requirements to Perform Job Function
- Basic dexterity skills (computer work, telephone, etc.)
- Some light lifting (less than 20 pounds)
- Sitting for sustained periods of time.
This is a security sensitive position and will require a background check as a pre-employment qualifier.