The Camp Counselor is responsible for planning, leading, and implementing core and non-core programs and experiences for children in a small group setting. They will also be responsible for the general safety and development, growth, and skill achievement of the participants in his/her group. The counselor position supports the growth and vision of the Camp Ho Mita Koda Foundation, a leading non-profit committed to empowering the T1D community through an outdoor camping and educational experience that strengthens confidence and creates a community of peers.
Essential Job Functions:
- Assist in the direction, supervision, and organization of campers in their living unit, within activities and throughout the camp in order to meet the intended camper outcomes.
- Apply basic youth development principles in working with campers through communication, relationship development, respect for diversity, involvement and empowerment of youth.
- Assure campers are properly supervised at all times.
- Be aware of and implement safety guidelines.
- Participate in the development and implementation of program activities for campers within the mission and outcomes.
- Responsible for leading and assisting with the teaching of activities.
- Actively participate in all program areas as assigned.
- Provide for the progression of activities within the framework of individual and group interests and abilities.
- Assist in program areas such as waterfront, nature, all camp activities, and arts and crafts as directed.
- Maintain high standards of health and safety in all activities for campers and staff.
- Provide the daily care of each camper within your supervision including recognition of personal health needs.
- Ensure that campers receive their medications as directed by healthcare manager.
- Be alert to campers and staff needs and assist them with personal and/or health problems, and discuss with camp health manager and/or resident camp director when appropriate.
- Be alert to equipment and facilities to ensure utilization, proper care, and maintenance is adhered to; report repairs needed promptly to camp director.
- Be a role model to campers and staff in your attitude and behavior.
- Follow and uphold all safety and security rules and procedures.
- Set a good example to campers and others in regard to general camp procedures and practices including sanitation, schedule, and sportsmanship.